Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who's headstock signature is this?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by igto, Jun 11, 2004.

1. igto

igto

Feb 28, 2004
    Hi
    I've found a 5 string fretless bass, with a 13 pin Midi socket, on eBay, and maybe you can recognize the signature on the headstock, or the bass itself.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

2. What does the seller say?

3. igto

igto

Feb 28, 2004
    The seller doesn't have a clue - he's not the owner.
    More pics:

4. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I've seen one of these in a local pawn shop, I was wondering the same thing myself. In fact, that one looks identical to the one I've seen. Is the auction from Sacramento California?

Edit: YUP! that's it, That bass is at Steve's music in Sacramento, I can tell by the background of the pic. That thing is beat to CRAP! I thought it might be rare or something, but it just looked like to junk to me. It looks like they've gone ahead and removed the 'tail piece'. See those 2 screws sticking out of it? There was a piece of wood there that held the end of the strings, it was totally cracked and couldn't be strung up anymore, so I guess they just pulled it off. What does the guy want for it? I can stop by there for you and get some better pictures of it.

I can't find that bass on eBay, post a link.

5. igto

igto

Feb 28, 2004
    You're spot on, Basswhore- I won the auction, and from what you describe it looks like we're talking about the same guitar.
    Of course, bidding on line is always risky, and your description as "beat" and "crap" sounds a bit worrying...
    I'm not that concerned with the missing tailpiece, pickup, but if the general condition (body, electronics,etc.) is "crap" then
    I would "bail out" of the transaction.
    It would be amazing if you could check it out in person, but of course I can't ask that from you.
    Anyway, thanks for your input.
    Regards

6. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Well, it's a little late now since you already won the auction. It actually would not have been a big deal, that store is 1 block from our practice studio. I usually stop there if I need ear plugs, strings, etc...

I would be interested in hearing your impressions of it once it's all fixed up.

7. igto

igto

Feb 28, 2004
    Since I live in London, the whole transaction will take a while - so the bass is still there - I guess you could still ask to have a look, if you had the time and the will.
    After you saw the guitar and called it "crap", I'm quite worried about the whole transaction...
    Anyway, it's quite amazing how the internet makes the world a much smaller place -- my post was quite a long shot -- but then you saw that guitar in person, and stumbled upon my post - nice!
    If nothing changes, I'll definitely let you (and fellow T'Bers) know how the project finalised.
    Cheers

8. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    if you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay for it? I don't think it was more than $200 when I saw it.

9. igto

igto

Feb 28, 2004
    400$ -- now you understand why I'm worried...

10. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Hmmm... yeah, that's not good.

I'm going to be in that area today, I will double check on it.

11. igto

igto

Feb 28, 2004
    Basswhore you're a saviour.
    Thanks a lot.

12. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    eBay strikes again!

13. igto

igto

Feb 28, 2004
    Basswhore?

14. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I sent you a PM :)

15. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Dude, do you still have this bass? You're not going to believe this. I know who made that bass. Not only that, I met him the other day by some freak chance and was at his shop last night while he was working on an electric upright for a friend of his. When he showed me one of his old unfinished basses and I saw the headstock and signature I had a sense of Deja-Vu. THis morning I remembered where I had seen it before, that bass from Steve's music, the one you bought. How weird is that?

His name is Aron B.... (sorry) and he's originally from Elk Grove, California. Just down the street from me actually. He currently lives in Germany and is just here visiting for 2 weeks. I'm going to his shop again tonight. If you get this (I know this thread is old) PM me your e-mail address or something and I will give it to him for you.

16. A year or so ago I met a guy at a Manring show(@ Watermelon Music in Davis)named Aron Bach- he said he was getting started building. He gave me a card, but I never contacted him. It's good to see he(apparently)stuck with it. Nice looking bass.

17. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    That's him. He had his little sister with him and Michael Manring signed her bass, right? He told me about that.

I'll post some pics of the EUB he's working on maybe tomorrow. I need to ask him first of course.

Also, Evidently he's had a chance to go to the Marleaux shop in Germany once or twice. Aron said he learned a lot from him.

18. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Update: I will most likely be working with Aron almost every day for the next week. I hope to learn quite a bit. He's a really nice guy.