Who's in sales?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by RAM, Apr 8, 2004.

1. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    If you're in sales, what do you sell? Do you like it? How long have you been selling what you sell?

The reason I ask is because I'm in the process of a career transition and am looking towards sales.

Thanks! RAM
  2. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    I have been in sales for a long time, and it will get to you (at least it's getting to me).

can you give me an overview of what kind of sales you doing... phone, travel, international, internet, washers and dryers?

I'll give as much insight as I can.
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I worked in sales for three years. Not for me, so I stopped.

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I'm in sales.

...as quite a few people here at TB will attest to!!!

I dunno if I could take being in a "generic" sales job, but I really dig what I'm doing here...usually...there are good and bad days, just like any other job.
  5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've been slinging guitars and basses for about 12 years.... holy cow! 12 years! Geez, I need to try something else.

If you are going to be selling, get used to rejection, and get a thick skin. There are times you want to throw people out the door without opening it first.

That said, selling guitars can be a real fun experience, provided you aren't working for GC. :D It pays reasonably well for the relatively little work that is required, but you have to be careful not to spend your entire paycheck at work.
  6. I've been doing telesales for almost 8 years now. It really depends on the product and the industry. I used to sell clothing & well, an adult oriented product. we were one of the top manufacturers of a certain brand of "tobacco waterpipe" for about 5 years during that time. If you are into the product and can get behind it 100% it's easy as heck to sell a blind man some sunglasses if you get my drift.. If you aren't into it (i sold hotel/vacation packages for a few months too ugghhh), then it's just an upwards battle to reach goals, quotas etc... COLD CALLING SUCKS!! if you do phone sales, try and get some sort of In-house with people calling YOU. even if you aren't 100% into the product, it's much easier answering the phone than bugging people at home or at work for something they might not really need anyway. I have freaky hair and tats, and those don't necessarily go over to well for retail. well, for music related stuff it's usually no big deal.. :D
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I had a good sales job way-back-when that was cool because it didn't involve any service after the sale, yet I had plenty of repeat customers.............I sold weed and blow.
  8. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    so you really are a bass player :smug: ;)
  9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Yeah, but my product line is much worse.

NOTE TO IMPRESSIONABLE YOUNG MINDS: DO NOT DEAL!!! The game was much less dangerous in the 70's.
  10. you know how we do this!!! :bassist:

rickbass.. i agree with you 100%
  11. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    I sure do.... :D

Hijack Over-

What kinda sales meng?

Ya know pimpin aint easy, so hurry up and take your time.......! Don't look at me in that tone of voice... we've got goals to meet son....

that kinda sales?

12. Uhhh.. no comment (cough cough) no comment... :cool:
  13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I have been a full time Realtor in the state of (insanity)Michigan for 7 years. I am making cold calls to "FSBO's("for Sale by owner) homes in between posts.

Yes, I have a reluctance to calling these people, because many say: "NO!!!"

But many "prospects" are talkative, and I can do business with them. There is no "silver bullett" close phrase either.

As a saleperson, you have to qualify the prospect for what you are selling. If they are not ready, willing, and able to buy what you are selling, find another prospect.
  14. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Sweet P. I'll look you up when I'm ready to by my crib.
  15. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've actually been trying to get into selling medical devices. I very recently had an interview with a company that took me on a field ride, which I got to observe two different surgical procedures. I didn't know how I'd react going in, but felt surprisingly comfortable during and after each operation!

According to the division manager, I was actually in the running for the position until another territory manager thrust two experienced reps from in-house in her territory. Therefore, coming from the outside, with no outside sales experience...you know the rest.

It was a big blow to my ego today. I know it's a challenge, and I know I can do it. One of my biggest strengths in business is how I build trust and lasting relationships at all levels of the organization. Usually I take rejection as a challenge. This was different. Thus, I'm trying to refocus so I can begin my job search again tomorrow or Monday at the latest.

I welcome all insight and feedback (and contacts, if you know any).:D
  16. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    A friend of mine has been selling medical devices for 8months and is already the top-selling guy in his company. New guys CAN do it!

My wife will officially be a physician in less than two months. She's received countless free meals and gifts from drug and equipment reps. Too bad I can't get in on that action!

I'm sure Mike Mulcahy has had his belly filled by reps a time or two.

brad cook
  17. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I am for sale... i sell my body.... i am gigalo! 5$ if your hot 100$ if you are fat... "fat women need loving too, but they got to pay!!"
  18. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I sell frozen seafood for a living.

I am at the importer level, we bring frozen product
    into the US in container loads into a port of entry such as
    Boston, Los Angeles, Seattle, New Jersey, Norfolk,
    Houston or Miami, and redistribute product from there.

The business is very competitive and low margin, but the
    volumes are high. There is a good reorder cycle, as foods
    are consumables, and the inventory always needs to be
    replaced at some point. Relationships that you build are
    with professional buyers that buy products weekly.

There is never a dull or boring moment. There are some
    very interesting characters in my industry, and in food
    commodities in general.

I love what I do, my wife doesn't have to work, I work
    reasonable hours, and I make a decent living.

Sales people can usually get decent compensation
    packages because without sales of some kind, owners
    don't get paid, accountants aren't necessary, truckers
    aren't needed and no money is generated. Business owners
    tend to value people who can make them money. Sales
    people are usually mercenary enough to leave and go
    elswhere if they don't make money with business owners.
    And take their business relationships with them.

Read this book: Mastering the ART of Selling by
    Tommy Hopkins.

Then go make yourself some cash for that nice stuff
    you want.

Good luck.
  19. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
  20. If you plan on going into business for yourself, get incorporated! That way you can buy like cars on pre-taxed dollars.