Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who's live tone make you cringe?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dan Molina, May 3, 2004.

1. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I've been to a few shows most of them had a bassist with good ears, and who could tell if they sounded good or not. Though out of the shows I have been to the bassist from eve 6 and the bassist for a metal band named moonspell. Both band had horrible tone it sounded like their cab was gonna explode amd in my opinion used way too much mid.

Lets hear your expierences...

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Haven't seen personally, but have heard Shavo Odadjian's live tone.

Pure bass hell.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Rex, from the now defunct Pantera. Hello? Rex? Are you there?

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    white stripes. just doesn;t cut it at all. You need a p-bass in there, dammit!

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Stu Hamm since he stopped playing Kubickis.

6. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    That's kind of an unfair question, isn't it? I mean, the "live tone" belongs to the venue as much as to the bass player, right?

Here's several examples. I saw Jeff Beck over at the Universal Amphitheater a couple of years ago, and then saw the exact same band again about three months later, except this time they were outdoors. The tonal difference was like night and day. Outdoors they sounded great. Indoors the bass was boomy and entirely overwhelming. Maybe the subs just happened to be pointed at the sixth row, which is where we were. Who knows.

Another example, a few years back I saw the Spin Doctors at the Greek Theater. Mark White was using a wall of Mesa cabs, and they just didn't sound right in that venue. Probably it had something to do with the layout, 'cause I've seen him several times and he's always sounded great, except for that one time. That time, it sounded like he could have used a couple of subs. The bass was all mids and no bottom. Too bad, 'cause he's a killer bass player, especially he's got a great slap groove. Fortunately, I was busy enough watching his fingers through the binoculars, so much so that I wasn't really all that conerned about the sound. Well, people go to shows for different reasons y'know. :)

And then my last example would be RTF at the Hollywood Bowl. I've never been more disappointed with Stanley in my whole entire life, and I've seen him several dozen times at least. This time I couldn't even hear him most of the night, all I could hear was Lenny beating on the toms. Every other time I've heard him his sound was superb, whether he was using the 370's like in the old days, or the EBS stuff, or whatever. And I'm guessing he probably sounded just fine on stage. It's just that the Bowl is one of the world's worst venues for bass.

So that's kinda my point, the venue has everything to do with the live sound. And of course the engineers, and how comfortable they are dialing up a mix to compensate for the room (or lack thereof). Mixing bass is a science all its own. You can't just point subs at the audience, there's a lot more to it. Especially in an arena setting, when the seats are staggered vertically. It's hard enough dealing with the delays and all that, but the vertical part can be "really" tough.

Now if you want to ask me what's the "best" live bass sound I've ever heard, I'd have to say Phil Lesh at Madison Square Gardens. Of course the Dead was legendary for their sound system, but I swear you could hear a pin drop on that stage. Phil's sound was so articulate that night, it's like I could hear every little pick noise. He had a perfect mix, he sounded sweet when he wanted to, and authoritative when he needed to. And it seemed to me he was dialing it all up right from his bass. Awesome.

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    For the record, my post also included my opinion on his studio tone.

8. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    The other bassists I saw that did the same show had a decent tone so it's not all just the acoustics of the venue.

9. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    I can't really judge live tones- the only show I've been to was Rush during the Vapor Trails. Geddy had good tone, but he was pretty buried in the mix.

10. griff1676

griff1676

Jul 17, 2003
    Dekalb, Il
    I recently worked the MTV Campus Invasion Tour with Hoobastank and Lostprophets. I listened to both bands soundcheck and the bassist for Hoobastank had terrible tone by himself; however when the whole band played through the FOH it sounded fantastic. I was surprised because he was playing Aguilar gear, which I had never heard before, but I have only heard great things about. It sounded like his entire rig was going to blow up. Lostprophets bassist had Ampeg stuff and it sounded great by itself and through the PA.

11. Lol...watch me single-handed shoot down this thread...

fieldy

12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    In his case, I think recorded tones count too. :D

13. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I agree with nonsqtr on this. It has more to do with the acoustics and the sound engineer. FWIW I saw Moonspell live and I thought they sounded ok (granted, through a very good house system). Stage sound is different than what the audience experiences. Unfortunately, it's something out of the bassists control.

14. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I like Fieldy's tone.

*ducks* :bag:

15. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I liked it at first, but after hearing so many songs with it sounding exactly the same, I now dislike it. And most of his lines sound pretty similar.

16. Caeros

Caeros

Jul 24, 2002
    Branford, CT
    Geddy on Rush and Rio. It's all attack and no bass!