Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who's making better metal now? US or Europe

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Squidfinger, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Lately I've been thinking of something. I've come to the conclusion that I'm bored with america's current metal scene in general and find myself looking more towards Europe's scene and being much more musically satisfied. Don't get me wrong, we still have bands that are worthy flagbearers for our country: Shadows Fall, Nevermore, Lamb of God, Slayer, Morbid Angel, and Mastodon to name a few. But the vast majority of the new bands I'm finding stagnant. I find myself watching Headbangers Ball and Uranium and being bored until the new Nightwish or Akercocke video comes on. Bands like 18 Visions, From Autumn to Ashes, Avenged sevenfold, and Glass Casket I'm just finding too boring/too similiar. And what the hell has happened to vocals in american metal? Rough vocals and emo'ish castrato vocals just don't mix well, I'm talking to you From Autumn to Ashes. EMO is creeping into my beloved metal!!!!!!! :(

I'm finding the main difference between American and European metal is that the US stuff is much more angry/ugly. The European metal is much more prettier/melodic. I know these are sweeping generalizations to make but I can't help but feel overall that they are true. Power metal is much bigger over there. So is Doom. For awhile I tried to deny I liked power metal, but if you can get past the cheese it's some really great stuff.

I know this was just a ramble, but I'm interested in hearing your guys' opinions.

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I think American music in general has steadily gone downhill over the past decade or so. Certainly, we have our highlights of show-stopper good bands, but for the most part, due to the industry and not the musicians themselves, everyone seems very much alike. The producers of now-a-days want cash, and if the music they produce sells, then they'll make it until it doesn't sell, and I've even heard of producers taking a band of one genere and chaning their sound so much to fit another, just to reel in more cash.
    If you look into unsigned/underground bands, you can find that there's still a lot of good music being made, but it's sooo hard to find, cos the big shots want to make the cash with trends. That's why with my radio time (at WERU!) I play good music that's not mainstream. Get that trash off t he radio that everyone's hearing, and put new stuff on, stuff that people want to hear IMO. But, anytime you turn on the radio, you hear the same junk....and maybe, just maybe someday the producers and companies will get their head out of their asses and ollar signs, and make something good!

Ray

3. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    IMO in general Europe's been kickin' the US's metal butt for YEARS!!!! (with a few exceptions here and there...)

4. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    Europe kicks our ass all over the place, with the exception of a few bands. (BTW you forgot Iced Earth, my favorite American metal). I think most of the best metal comes from the Scandinavian area.

There are some European bands you might find "Ugly", but I think it's great!

I find most American metal sounds the same.

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    *reads this line* *looks at his post* *points to his post* *shrugs*

Ray

6. Hey, I like From Autumn To Ashes and Avenged Sevenfold :crying:

7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Two words: Meshuggah.

8. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    It's not that these bands are "bad", I just have a problem with their vocal approach.

Let's take the drummer for From Autumn to Ashes (Think also the guy from Coheed & Cambria). When did these types of vocals become acceptable? The closest comparison is 50's doowop (Big girls don't cry, they don't cry-ry-ry ). Even 80's hair metal vocals are less cheesy than emo'ish vocals :eek: .

I guess my main problem with current american rock is the whole metrosexual vocal approach that's going on. Where the heck are all the soulful voices ala Greg Allman, Phil Lynot, and Paul Rodgers. We've lost ourselves :scowl: .

EDIT: I'm also starting to realize that not just anybody can growl like I previously thought. It's like singing; some people can do it well (still pronounce their words) and others can't. I also think extreme growling is starting to wear somewhat thin on the collective conscience of the metal community. I want see more metal vocalists SING and not sound like they're 12 years old!!!!!

9. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Inquiring minds want to know:

What stuff do you play on your radio show? Can I/we have a sampling of your playlist?

10. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I'm seeing a lot more metal kids at the hardcore shows I go to. I know there's been a lot of cross-pollination between the two styles, but there's never really been that much mixing between the two cultures. However, I'm finding the shows that I go to in Providence have an equal amount of kids in Black Flag, Kid Dynamite and Germs t-shirts as there are kids in Slayer, Venom and Cannibal Corpse t-shirts. Also, the bands themselves share this love of all things metally and hardcore. I wouldn't call it metalcore, because that has weird connotation, but there's the clear prescence of classic/heavy metal guitar lines and instrumentality sitting on top of a hardcore break beat.

11. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    I've an entire thread for it over in band management/performance subtopic, I suggest you check it out. It's sticky'd at the very top, can't miss it! (Got a Band thread). 99% of the songs I play come from TB bands, as they've given me enough material to cover my show for a week (we didn't start broadcasting yet, mind you). After that, I'm hoping to get input from other TBers, as well as people here at Riddle to see what other music I can unearth, as I know at least 1/2 of my hallway has some underground bands they like.

Ray

12. Ray, how big is your station?

There's a college by our house that is 10w. That's not a typo. It's by far the best radio station around here, and it's great because some corporation isn't controlling the playlists. Bad thing is it's got maybe a mile radius, fortunately I'm like 5 blocks away.

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    USA has Lamb of God.

14. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    We just re did the entire station, and I *think* that we're around 75W total now. That's what I've heard anyway. Last year we were 25, and they said they upped it "signifigantly". Mostly right now I don't do the on-air stuff, as far as I know I'll be doing the live shows and such, with saturday late night spot on air. Since I'm a freshmen I don't have much standing, but I figure one show a week is at least a start.

Ray

15. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Lamb of God ... Mastodon .... Killswitch Engage ... Dillinger Escape Plan ... As I Lay Dying

"Pure American Metal :bassist: " is right up there if not better then European metal....but Europes got Meshuggah which is worth 4 of those bands mentioned

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    My Lord, Europe slaughters America when it comes to metal. It all started with Iron Maiden and they've been kicking our asses ever since. U.S. gets a few awesome awesome awesome metal bands sprinkled vaugely across the country, but more fantastic bands come from... elsewhere.

17. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    You could say that of just about any band. The Beatles, Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, King Crimson, Elton John... Europe pwns us.

18. imo Europe has a better metal scene, the only American metal band that is currently impressing me is Dream Theater, while in Europe this is much more metal to dig: Led Zeppelin, Children of Bodom, Black Sabbath, Opeth.. etc

also, I dont know if i'd consider Lamb of God metal... :meh:

19. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

Really? What would you consider them?