Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who's making custom pup covers, either "plastic" or wood?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Basschair, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    In my search for pup candidates for the next build or two, I found that a Nordstrand Fat Stack may be an option. However, I would need to fabricate or have someone fabricate a cover for it (or for them if I go for a set). I've emailed Roger at THG and Cliff at CB Basses to get their thoughts, but figured I would be remiss in my duties if I didn't post here.

If you make 'em or know of a good source, let me know. Thanks!

2. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    They're really not that hard to do yourself. Personally I think covers that match the instrument (i.e. same wood) look great. Beyond that, I've been toying with the idea of fiberglass covers. I think there are some interesting possibilities there.

-Nate

3. I just scored a ton of 3/4" and 1" clear acrylic sheet scrap. How about some crystal clear ones? :eek:

Haven't we talked before? :confused:

4. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    About pickup covers? Nope, but you did give all kinds of help with the last bass. You name it, you helped with it ;)

5. I made a pickup cover out of maple, bocote and rosewood. I liked how it looked but I didn't like the pickup was futher away from the strings. So, I ended up making just a pickup ring.

6. Theshortlist_to

Theshortlist_to

Apr 20, 2005
    those would be sweet on a Dan Armstong or other Acrylic basses

7. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Of course, if you're going for acrylic covers you should really kick 'er up a notch and wind your own pickups on acrylic bobbins.

And then mount some LEDs underneath. LEDs are key.

I've also got some ideas for an acrylic fretboard with lit fretlines. Now I just need a CNC router to do it.

-Nate