Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whos making th best high end Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tristianXzon, Oct 17, 2003.

1. tristianXzon

tristianXzon

Oct 16, 2003
    Accu Groove
    Epifani
    Bergatino
    Aguilar
    EA

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Bergantino Epifani or Accugroove

My vote is with Bergantino.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i'll tell you, if you can tell me who's making the best hi end bass... ;)

4. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    My vote is Epifani.

MY $0.02:

Accugroove - haven't heard them, but if they're a lot like ACME like people say, then they're probably too hi-fi for my taste

Epifani - my current favorite. a little grunt, a lot of clarity, tons of beef, but the real winner in my book is how the tone jumps out of the cab - in your face. aggressive but not overly so, and the off-axis sound is awesome too.

Bergatino - great sounding cabs, but too sweet and smooth for my taste. tight low end and wonderful highs. these cabs sing.

Aguilar - scooped mids, very old-school but not as clear as the others. very big pillowy tone and warm as heck. sounds subdued and not quite "open".

EA - very aggressive and bright, extremely deep and full range. excells with EA amps. very clear and tight, but doesn't do the old school thing well (no wizzy experience)

ooh ooh that's fun! try em all!

5. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Rokaxe man, ROKAXE!

6. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Hey vanselus. I used to have an Acme B2 and a B4 and they were too hi fi for me. I got a change to try an Accugroove tri with a Glock soul head and IMO they arent like Acme at all. I didnt really crank it up or anything but to me the Acmes were sterile. the accugroove sounded sweet like my berg 210. Just an fyi...

7. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    thats interesting - i would love to hear some accu's someday...

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    My vote goes:

#1 Bergantino
    #2 Bag End

I'm hoping to get to know EA as they are supposedly local to me, but my emails go unanswered :meh:

9. Add Phil Jones to that list.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    the funny thing is,

Van and i come from two opposite ends of the spectrum. he loves the beefy grunt. i look for articulation and detail. and yet, the Epi makes us both happy. interesting, eh?

11. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    and we're on opposite coasts... am I your evil twin?

12. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I believe that at this level it's all a matter of taste.

Unfortunately, I haven't heard the Accugrooves or EA's.

According to my taste:
    1. Bergantino
    2. Epifani
    3. Aguilar

Van, have you heard a cranked HT322?
    Sweet?...I don't think so.
    It does have a unique blend of smoothness from the midrange up, and raw edginess from the midbass down that's still tight and powerful.
    The 322 (w/my bass and rig) gives me goosebumps just about every time I play it live with a band at club levels.

13. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    i want to try out an accugroove el whappo soooo badly.

14. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Glockenklang and Tech Soundsystems

15. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    I'd give my right ball for an epi 212

..........*sigh* maybe one day

16. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Every cabinet is the "best" if that's the tone your looking for. If your asking which cabinets have the widest frequency response or which cabinet is the most sensitive or lightest in weight. It's like asking "whats the best wine," who knows, it's all whatever you want.

All the cabinets you've listed are well made and I'm sure all have a different tone or timbre. How bout' some clues. What color hair do have? Righty or lefty? Do you vote Green or Criminal?

17. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I've played all on that list but the accugroove, and I'd have to put the order this way (my own personal preference ONLY):

1)EA
    2)Bergantino
    4)Epifani (tie)
    4)Aguilar (tie)

For DB, both the Epi and the Aggie brought in WAAAYYYY to much pumped low end. The Epi also had a low mid hump, and the Aggie had "scooped" mids, which sounded okay for BG but crappy for DB. The Epi was full of "Wolf Tones" for DB, making it the worst choice of the bunch for my purposes. As always, YMMV.

18. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I second the vote for Phil Jones

www.philjonesbass.com

This stuff is simply amazing and I can't wait to get my hands on the new briefcase amp and his newly designed tube amp. Rockin'! :D

19. They are all excellent cabs and as all of the wise TB'rs have said it's personal thang.
    I have not tried Accugroove and limited EA.
    I prefer Bergantinos out of all listed or any that come to mind. Have fun!

20. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    For my money Bag End is still second to none.

Won't buy anything with an Eminence speaker in it. Seen too many of those Emmy cones flying all the way across the stage.