Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who's making the best input jack these days?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Benjamin Strange, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'm sick of my barrel type input jacks going bad on me, and I want to get the be-all-end-all input jack. Are those Neutrik locking jacks any good? Or will my contacts still get bent out of shape? What's the best one to put in my bass?

2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I've used Neutriks for years, and have had no problems with them at all, but I'm regularly changing other peoples barrel and open frame TRS sockets. I think they look great, but if you're not so fond of the aesthetics, maybe you could have it side mounted.
    My custom is getting a Neutrik locking TRS and a 7 pin.

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Side mounted jacks are a breakdown waiting to happen...im all in favour of front mounted jacks - much less chance of getting banged around on your leg and thus damaged!

4. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    Yeah, just more likely to get smacked and crack your top.

Oh yeah, it's an OUTPUT JACK! Nothing is going into the bass... heh heh..

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I've never had a front output jack "smacked" and crack the top in any ordinary gig / use, however I've had my leg stress a side output a lot (had to replace a few because of it). If I had to wager my money on which placement resulted in more broken input jacks, I know where my money would go.

6. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    I agree about the output jacks as a % type of thing, but the price of a jack VS the price of crack repair on a top is worth putting it on the side for me. I HAVE seen cracked tops from top mount jacks (when mounted into the wood, not a metal plate) so I wont bother the risk to the wood no matter how many $10 jacks need to meet their demise.

7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Well, mine is on the side, no worries there, but these Chinese made output jacks are just totally sucking big time. I believe I will go with the Neutrik locking jacks.

8. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I've only been using the Neutrik for a few months now but it seems like it's absolutely the best built jack out there.

It takes more work to install as it does not simply fit into a 1/2" hole and requires a flat surface to sit on.

9. tonrutoo

tonrutoo

Apr 18, 2003
    Hmmm,I'm planning on having a side input via one of those Electrosockets with Switchcraft jack.
    I'm a primative and haven't really looked at Neutrik.
    Got any links to retailers?-Nothing in Stew-Mac or LMI catalogs.
    Thanks.