1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who's moving opposite of the trend (IOW, getting bigger gear)?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Visirale, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    It's obvious the current design trend is for small and powerful, and it's really a great exhibition of technology. I can only imagine what the next few years hold for gear.

BUT, I've been up-sizing ever since I got a car big enough to carry stuff. I have an 810 on the way. My normal rock rig will be my head and the 810.

But I still want to go bigger after that, haha. For doom and experimental stuff, I want to get a nice 300 watt tube head (maybe old Sunn 300t, Orange AD200b, or a Mesa 400+) and run it at 2 ohms through 2 215s. Throw a Y cable and run both rigs at once... I think it could do intestinal damage.

I should have never found Sunn o))). I can justify any amount of gear or volume by just saying that they have more gear and are louder and making a living from it, haha.

[​IMG]

2. I just got a GK 1001rb, 115RBH and 410RBH. It's an obscenely loud stack, weighs around 190 pounds, and stands over 5 feet tall.

I love it. :smug:

3. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Yo.

I'm looking to upgrade my Ampeg B2R to an SVT-2 Pro

4. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR

Say, is this Gene Simmons' new combo?

5. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas

sounds like a great rig:)

6. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx

I actually have an Orange AD200 going through a Genz Benz 2x10 right now and I have a Markbass 2x10 combo.

Im trying to decide which route to go. Sell the Orange, get a Markbass extension cab for the Markbass combo (and keep it light) or sell the GB cab and Markbass combo and get 4x10/1x15 Orange cabs for the AD200.

FYI to the original poster. If you get the Orange don't run it at 2 ohms. It can't handle it.

7. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    I'm right there with you Visirale, my current rig is huge and it's only going to get bigger! 810e + 410 + 1x18 being fed by an SVT CL set to 2 ohms. It really is too much, but it sounds so BIG!

If you love the big rigs, check out Bongripper! Ron Now's Stoner/Doom band. He has the COOLEST rig!

8. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    I have way way too much gear on every gig but thats part of DOOM and sludge :bassist:

EDIT: Here is a pic (bad quality) of our practice room.
    [​IMG]

9. I like the idea of a big rig too.

Part of the fun for me is to get as far away from my day job as I can.

Right now that means an SVT CL into a 410HE and a 15E... Looks cool sounds great.

Yeah is sux to move but It's only a few times a month.

In the shooting world this we might call this a "Magnum".
    (Maybe I'll start calling it that)

Funny thing is I don't shoot my 300 magnum anymore... to much recoil and noise, the 308 gets the job done and is easier to lug around too.

Go figure?

10. I have upgraded from my Ashdown abm300 to a Marshall VBA 400 with a VBC 4x12 cab.
    Sounds amazing and i know i will never be lacking power or tone no matter what gig we play.
    The small light stuff might be great but the is just something about a big valve amp pushing huge amounts of air !!

11. Gubna

Gubna

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
    I downgraded all my gear over the last couple years and only have a few combo amps now, as I'm not gigging.

If I were to, I think I'd only need another cab - another 12 or a 15 to pair with my Markbass 12 combo.

granted if I was in a band, I'd probably want something bigger. I used to play with a Peavey 412 cab and a 410XL Hartke. Then I moved to the 115XL Hartke and the 410.
    The peavey cab was a monster and even had a couple of holes poked in the speakers - but still sounded great. I've never played the 810, but have always been interested in having a few.
    Before that I had one of those old, inverted Acoustic 18 cabs - where you can't see the speaker. the thing was a beast and weighed over 150 lbs - plus it actually had a warning label saying something to the effect of "sound levels within ten feet of this enclosure can exceed 115 db". And I used to run that with another 15 speaker cab that I built - with a GK800RB (400 watts)

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    My small rig= Mesa Walkabout and Epi UL 212. I like it plenty, but still picked up an SVT 6Pro and a Mesa Deisel 215 for the sheer power. The big stuff ain't goin' nowhere.

13. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    I have a pair of 2x15's right now... looking to get at least one 4x12.

When I saw High On Fire, Jeff Matz had an 8x10 and two 4x12's, ( powered by three redlining 300 watt tube amps, naturally) and between him and Matt Pike (who had a Marshall stack and a Soldano stack, also run all the way open) that was the most stage volume I've ever seen, and it was awesome in the best sense of the word.

14. PunkRocker33133

PunkRocker33133 Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    I plan on upgrading to an older Peavey Butcher or Ampeg V4 run full out into an 810 with all my dirt pedals into that, with a GK 1001 RB for cleans

15. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    I'm adding a 210 to my 410 and have moved from a solid-state head to a 400W all-tube beast. I don't really care how it looks, but it does sound better. In another 10 years my back might demand me to downsize again. Don't really see me going the multiple-stack route anytime soon though.

16. Geddy Claypool

Geddy Claypool SX J-75/Traben Neo 4 -> SVT-CL/SVT-810E

Aug 3, 2008
    Maryland
    Went from a Trace 1x15 combo to a SVT-CL and 810E. Big rigs make big noise, that's all I have to say. ;)

17. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    When I graduated high school I made it a mission to have the biggest, meanest, loudest metal rig on Earth. I used an early 90's Ampeg 8x10, a newer, borrowed Ampeg 810E, and for amplication I went from an SVT4-Pro to an SVT-CL to a Mesa 400+.

And I eventually decided it was a lame and terrible idea, and am now playing jazz and experimental music almost exclusively. So now I'm running an 800RB into one or two ADA 1x15 cabs from the 80's. Occasionally I will use my Mesa 400 non-plus, but I'm even considering selling that to aquire a smaller, more streamlined setup. Not Markbass though, I really didn't care for it; I'll probably go with either GK or Euphonic Audio, or maybe a modular rack.

I didn't downsize out of the necessity of a smaller, lighter setup, it's just that my musical endeavors changed a LOT, and I really can't get the tones I want out of a mondo-huge SVT rig. The Mesa 400 is in the leaner territory; I can get some nice, pure tones from it, but it's still really aggressive. After I retube it with KT88's, it should calm down a bit and lose the grit.

18. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ

Sounds like a great rig! I considered my 1001RB-II to be a lightweight amp. I just "bulked up" to a Carvin B1500. :bassist:

19. Well, it certainly is small, considering it's power, but I wouldn't call it a lightweight in terms of sound!

Wait isn't the Carvin B1500 700watts as well? Why did you switch over?

20. Wait. no, never mind.