1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who's never owned a Fender bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Slade N, Jul 31, 2020.

1. yes

247 vote(s)
    50.8%
  2. no

239 vote(s)
    49.2%
  1. never had any interest on fender except tony franklin signature

2. RayWithFlats

RayWithFlats

Mar 22, 2020
    on the 1
    I’ve never owned a Fender bass... yet.

I learned on a Squier Jazz and currently play an EBMM Stingray so I’ve always played Fender-designed basses, just not Fender-branded ones (I’ve got a G&L Legacy guitar too, so full house!) I’d love a Jazz one day, and a Coronado too, maybe. I’ve got a list of about fifty Fender amps I’d love to try, too!

3. crankypants

crankypants

Aug 12, 2019
    Not me.

4. SunByrne

SunByrne opinionated intellectual Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Pearland, TX
    Been playing only a little over a year, and I now own 5 basses, none of them Fenders. I do own some Fender combo amps, though.

It's not a stance, though, it's just a circumstance.

What I mean is that I don't have anything against Fender, I just don't happen to own one.

They just don't really speak to me and they're expensive for what they are, so I'm not motivated to get one. I don't like the feel of the P neck, plus I think Ps look boring. Js are a little better and I kind of like the look of the Aerodyne, but I've never had the chance to play one, and I certainly don't feel like I need one.

However, if the right circumstances came around, I'd certainly consider getting a Fender. Those circumstances just haven't arisen yet.

5. I'd say that most posters that proudly claim they never owned or desire a Fender bass, are either in denial or simply not aware they want one, yet. Of course, this is my personal opinion and as such, couldn't be further from the truth.

lowdownthump, hbarcat and FRoss6788 like this.
  6. coy garcia

coy garcia

Jan 18, 2020
    Thing I like about Fenders is how they hold their value and its familiar sound. All my others are built better, sound better, and easier to make adjustments to on the fly.

7. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I honestly believe they and Gibson are the IBMs of guitar making today - uninspired, boring, lazy - making money on their past glory, not anything related to innovation or art Today. I have zero Fender envy. :) If you Gave me one, I still wouldn't spend much time with it.

SunByrne and gebass6 like this.
  8. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

Fender is the flagbearer of traditional 50's and 60's styling.
    Some of us don't like that.

9. Slade N

Slade N

May 28, 2005
    portland, or
    Do you think most posters claiming to not have owned a Fender are doing so proudly or are just stating fact in reply to the original question?

I ask because while I have seen Fender hate (and for other brands) here on TB the question was not about hate just ownership and so I didn’t assume replies would be “proudly” yes or no, just factual. You might be correct that many or most are brand hate based but Id be surprised if that was the case. The is my opinion only, I have no facts here other than what pertains to me.

Relayer71 and bpc like this.
  10. 58kites

58kites Save a life....adopt a Pitbull

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    I prefer to buy used basses that are being sold for less than their value and I've been lucky to find a way to do that.
    My requirement is that it's a well made bass, without real concern for brand.
    The one MIM Fender PJ Deluxe Series that I owned was a really nice bass, I sold it at a profit after a couple years.
    I currently have a VM Squier bass that I got for a steal, and I have a new Player Series Jazz neck on an old mahogany P Bass body with a Dimarzio pup.
    Fender makes some nice basses, as do a whole bunch of other companies.
    All good if you know what you are looking for and get what you wanted.

11. Cut the middle

Cut the middle

Apr 17, 2020
    I want a tbird after hearing it in a comparison with other standards: p, j, stingray, Rick, etc.

Awesome sound and style!

12. When I started playing in 1982 and highly influenced by punk and new wave, the last thing I wanted to own was a Fender bass. These boring hippy/rockstar instruments. Started with a 100,- nobrand used bass. Followed by an Ibanez Rick-copy (Peter Hook!), then the first real serious bass: a Yamaha BB1100 I bought new (Peter Hook!).
    Years later I stopped playing bass for 2 years, sold the Yamaha. Then I started again, bought a BB1100 again. Then I started flirting with Fender - Jamerson obsession was the reason - and bought a G&L L2000 instead.
    My first Fender was a used Squier JV Precision I bought instead of a used '74 US Fender, although it was more expensive.
    Long story short: Today, with the exception of a MusicMan Classic (rarely use it) and a Warwick Star Bass (never use it) I own 10 Fender basses and I am completely satisfied with them.

Conclusion: if you play long enough and have REAL knowledge and experience, there is no need for something else.... :)
    Never got those coffeetable basses... or active basses. If I want a preamp, I buy a preamp, if I want a bass, I buy a bass. Love the simple electronics of passive Fender basses, esp. what you can do with the VVT of the Jazz Bass, if you really know, what you're doing.

13. I honestly don't know, it's just a far fetched conjecture on my part regarding some posters attempting to make a somewhat political statement. Some overtly claimed that going against the grain and by that I mean refusing to get a Fender just to be "different" or non conformist, better suited their personality. This is a topic that should be addressed on a personal basis, generalizing as I did is an invitation to dissension. Perhaps I just wanted to ventilate my thoughts on the matter, as biased and erroneous as they may be.

In my case, I got a Fender Jazz in the mid 70s once I reconciled the sound produced by John Paul Jones with a Jazz Bass. The whole thing grabbed my attention to the point of a mild obsession : )

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  14. Slade N

Slade N

May 28, 2005
    portland, or
    does a J still do it for you?

15. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    Italy
    Is not a mentality is only value for money. I never had a Fender because the only Jazz Mex that I could afford at time was sold little before I went to the shop to buy....and for that money a Yamaha, used or also new is far better for the price.
    If I could a Custom Shop is a great Instrument at all....

16. Eneade

Eneade

Jun 14, 2008
    France
    I have had a dozen Fender basses.
    I still have 4 : vintage J and P.

17. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    In general, I don't much think of myself as a Fender person. But if I ever found a mid-60s Jazz bass at a great price, that might be something I couldn't resist. Also, being a fanatical Jimi Hendrix Experience fan, if I ever ran across a Fender Noel Redding Jazz Signature bass, that might get my interest, too. I know through the years a lot of people seem to think it's cool to bash Noel Redding. But I like him and Billy Cox, too. Neither one may have been Jaco, but Jimi Hendrix didn't need a Jaco.

18. revd

revd

Apr 11, 2020
    This thread is so bitter I need to have a sweet drink.

Bent77 and Geri O like this.
  19. Not until the Fender American Mustang came out last year. Now I have a sunburst with black pg and TI flats. A Fender Bass I like. Always was a Gibson guy - other, of course, than my Strat and Tele.

20. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I've owned many different brands of basses, one of those brands happens to be Fender. I hove no loyalty to any particular brand. I only use what works for me.

lowdownthump and bpc like this.