Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who's NOT in a Band

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by watspan, Jan 28, 2003.

1. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    How many of you are NOT in a Band ?

What do you do to stay sharp? Jam w/ friends? Play along w/ cd's? Take Lessons?

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Right now, I'm not in a band. I don't have time. I'm working full time (and then some). I'm also serving a term as treasurer of our condo board. Plus the fact that I'm a full time grad student.

But, school will be done in June, at which time I'll be a lot more free to try to put something together.

I can't wait!:D

3. I haven't been in a band in over 20 years. The ones I was in back then never played anything more than a block party; too much in-fighting.

I just practice different blues and jazz patterns that I have memorized and am trying to learn some of Mr.Bach's (J.S) stuff, but, it starts out kinda easy then turns into a snowstorm fast. It's not the same as you get older trying to jam with people; most that I knew when younger have either given up, moved away or died. There's a few friends I jam with occasionally, but, nothing steady.

One of these days... :)

Mike

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I just left the band I was in this summer.

I'm in a band, but it's very very infrequent at the moment.

To stay sharp I just practice. That includes playing along with CDs, and transcribing etc.

5. I'm not. I just jam with friends currently. One of these days I may be ready to make the leap and find a band, but until then, I will just preactice.

6. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I'm not in a band. I wish at the moment I was (even though I am wanting to be a solo bassist). After almost 3 years of playing I'm still unfortunately a 'bedroom bassist'. Still with my beginner bass and practice amp and wish I could afford proper 'gigging gear'.

To stay sharp as you say I take weekly bass lessons and at home I keep a list of things I need to work on and improve and a list of goals I have. This all helps me stay focused. I work a lot on theory, site-reading, and ear-training. And I write my own music. Before I owned a bass I used to go over a friend's house to jam (he had a nice short-scale Fender strung with flatwounds and I fell in love with it...and also quite a few guitars). But I never felt like I accomplished anything because he would always rather smoke pot (haha). I never did find anyone else to jam with.

7. I;m not in a band.
    Although I have been asked in a few recently. I have an acoustic jam session with my friend Cady tomorrow, we're not an act, our sole purpose is to kick the asses of this oter acoustic act who wouldnt let me be their bassist because I'm a girl.
    I got asked into my friend Andrews band, i said maybe, they havent called me back for practice or anything.
    So i am not in a band, and I am still looking for some crazies to start a ska band with me, but half the people dont know what ska is....
    ::heartbreak::
    -shoonk

8. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    hey shoonk.. lets start a ska band!! lol
    Ill take the drums .. or else rhythm ge*tar..
    Hmm you know any Organ players??
    Ska music with organ players = Fun!

9. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    For the first time in seven years, I'm not. Was in a blues band for 5 years... More recently, I gave notice in my classic rock band this past August after two years, but stayed with them until they found a suitable replacement... Three weeks ago, they did... Even though I knew I'd miss gigging, I didn't think that it would be this much. I'm already scouting for something different... Until I find it, I have my Thursday Night blues jam, as well as church...

-robert

10. Ive been in the Marching band...I played bass in it....and the percussion ensemble...played bass in that too....was in a Christian band for a little bit (Even though I am repulsed by Christian Music, They asked me too and I needed someone to play with)...and other than that no im not in a band. Im a lonely loser, I have no friends....Just Joking(no really i do have friends....Guys? Cmon guys!)

11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I jam with friends

I was in the school's advanced combo but I opted to leave to allow another senior bassist a chance.

I'm not in any other bands though.

12. I am NOT....I work nights from like 1600-0200 hrs and there goes Mon-Fri....

I do get to jam on Sunday nights up in Ogden and that's been pretty cool. Plus, I give lessons on Sat/Sun.

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I kinda am. Skinny and The Platelickers. My uncle's bar band. We have a gig/practice once every three months. I get about 80 a gig, so I can't complain. But I never feel like I belong. I wanna start a band around here when I get the motivation/time/talent. And I gotta stop being sick *cough cough*

14. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    At this point I'm not in a band. I left one church gig I was playing and my own church is in the midst of changing music directors. When that all shakes loose we may wind up with a decent band at my church. If that happens, cool. If not, I'll probably find a 70s - 80s funk cover band.

Peace,

James

15. TravellinMan

TravellinMan

Jan 11, 2003
    NW Indiana
    Right now not in a band was in one on and off but I was the only one that had the determination to do something right now! I'm taking Music Theory/Ear Training! And learning from as many styles of music I can!

16. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Must have had a LONG cord!!;)

17. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    (edit to answer the question asked) I practice almost every day, I play songs that I know and sometimes sing and play, I sometimes play along with CD's/tapes, I occasionally jam with friends.

I'm not in a band. I have not been in one yet. (I've playing for two years) Getting myself a gig is what comes next. I really want to be a part of a group. Last year I was taking lessons from a local teacher and he offered me a spot in a band - he said some friends of his needed a bass player. They were all about my age (mid 20's+) he knew their personalities and mine and all of our skill levels and what music they played and all considered- I was a great fit. It sounded like he could make it happen with no audition. Then, I had a friend convince me that I should turn it down because I should play in a band that plays music of the same style as what I usually listen to/enjoy the most. They had female lead vocals and I'm not a big fan of most female singers. So I turned it down...I regret that desicion so much and would do anything now to be able to land that same gig. The experience would be valuable and I'm sure I'd be having fun. The lessons learned? Never look a gift horse in the mouth and don't listen to your 'dumb-a' friends.

18. No, i'm not in a band, but i stay "sharp" by going to lessons, having 2 classes a day that require me to play bass, and practising maybe 3+ hours a day.