Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who's not Overrated?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Brook, Sep 26, 2000.

1. Brook

Brook

Sep 24, 2000
    If Flea and Les are overated.

who's not?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My main man, Nathan East.

3. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    Rating bass players is over-rated. It's all opinion

4. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    ALL bass players are overrated.
    ALL bass players are underrated.
    The truth lies somewhere in between. :)

5. I'm not overrated, seriously I'm not.

6. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    hey, mike watts not overrated

7. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    Arther Daily is the greatest bass player who ever lived! In fact Arther Daily as a bass player, is the culmination of what western civilization evolved for.

So there!

jc

8. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    In fact...Arther Daily is the god of bass. We should build temples of worship to him. ;)

9. under rated
    yea i would have to go with both mike watt and tony levin, how about dennis dunnaway from the original alice cooper band, i would also have to throw in mick karn from the band japan, and scott thunes who hung with zappa

10. goddammit guys, you've really messed it up for me there.
    I guess I'm just another overated bass player!

there are shed loads of 'un-overated' bass players.

Many beastie boys tracks have wicked bass lines - not especially well executed, but really creative & groovy lines

loads of music has great bass parts by players who aren't especilally 'rated'.

11. reveille_509

reveille_509

Aug 17, 2000
    Vinny Hornsby is underrated, the bassist of sevendust, while im at it I should say sevendust is underrated too.

12. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    The late Allen Woody. Just listen to some live Gov't Mule. When the guitarist in a trio doesn't get any overdubs, the bassist has some work to do. Woody could handle it.

13. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    If anyone is overrated, it's you! The reader! You're reading the original question asking who's overrated, and immediately decided, "Well...I have lots of opinions on who sucks but gets a fair amount of credit..." But, these are YOUR opinions! Yes, there are some professional bass guitarists who don't have much feel or technical knowledge...heck! Some, don't even have good tone!

But, why are we judging them? Why not just judge yourself? Are you overrated? Underrated? Do you KNOW what you don't know?

Just keep practicing and quit worrying about who's overrated or underrated! Few bass guitarists are truly as good as we would want to believe!

14. Most of the time I underate myself quite, but that's purely because I'm not very good.

Serioudly though, sometimes I listen to 'popular' (not neccessarily pop music) music and I think, Jeez, I write and play much nicer bass than that.

On the other hand the bassists down at my local jazz club are incredible players and my jaw drops every time I see them play.

15. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    In my opinion, this is what inspires the better bass players...those who appreciate someone else's playing and try to learn from it!

16. There is something incredible about live music, especially jazz.

my local club is just a bar with about 150 capacity (all packed in like sardines!). they get 4 different guys down there each week, its free to get in, you just stand there and watch these guys bash out the most amzaing jazz from about 8pm till midnight.

they focus on modern jazz and some real bluenote style stuff, through funk and dare i say.. musicians hip-hop!!! one of the sax players does some beatbox (bloody well) and one of the drummers has more modern dance/jazz feel. they have a different sound each week.

this one guy has a fretless fender jazz with a block of four frets added at the bass of the neck - to get the metallic fret sound when he slap... and Lord can he play that bass!!!!

if anyone's in or near Reading, England, get down JWs on a Thursday, you'll love it!

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

My local Jazz club (Brighton) is similar size and gets great bands every week, with amazing bass players who most people won't have heard of. Although Ed Fugua says he has heard of Dave Green, who is in a quartet with Jim Mullen the (slightly famous) guitarist next week - he also brought a trio along recently. This week there is a quartet led by Julian Arguelles who is one of our best talents and composers and the week after next it's Peter King's quartet. Peter is renowned as the best Uk alto sax player and was in the film "The talented Mr. Ripley".

I am always impressed by the Upright players - although I'm usually more interested when there is (rarely) an electric bass player. And if anyone is underrated, it is these guys - they play brilliant solos that most people don't hear over the background noise and chat. They keep the whole band going timewise - most Jazz drummers are off on some increible rhythmic tangent most of the time - and they always swing! And there's nothing to beat live music in a club that is small enough that you can go and talk to the players and hang out with them.

18. Quote "although I'm usually more interested when there is (rarely) an electric bass player."

I've 2 different guys playing leccy and one playing upright. Both fretless of course!

the guy last night was mad, he played a really full on jazz solo, his fingers were moving going like the clappers... and he pulled out some lovely chords, i mean REAL BEAUTIES!!! gotta work them out...!

if i'm honest i didn't like his style as much as the other leccy player i've seen, but he WAS amazing. he was playing very pure jazz and my 1st musical love is funk.

I think jazz, on the whole, is so much more credible than funk (take the 70's for example!!) it generally invites serious, amazing musicians.

having said that they two are so mixable. everyone goes mad for a nice blend of funk and jazz.

the tenor sax player last night was enormous (6'6" and about 18 stone at a guess), he and the guitarist we soloing back and forth, incredible energy and a beautiful groove. it brings tears to yer eyes!!!!!