Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who's on bass?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by NewWaveBasser, Feb 22, 2002.

1. OK, ever had doubts about who played where?? Let's do this and help each other out:

For starters:

Who played bass on Jeffrey Osbourne's "Stay With Me Tonight" back in the mid-eighties?

Who played bass for Heatwave, of "Boogie Nights" fame (1974??)?

Who is Jack'O'Pierce bassist? (Ever heard "Six-Page Letter"??)

Who was Ready For The World's bassist? (Remember Oh, Sheila?)

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "Stay With Me Tonight" is Alphonso Johnson.

"Boogie Nights" is Rod Temperton(synth bass). ;)
    (Mario Mantese was actually playing electric bass with Heatwave in this time frame..."Mind Blowing Decisions", "Party Poops", & "Happiness Togetherness", all from Central Heating, are nice examples of what he can do).
    BTW, wasn't this tune from '76? I recall being a college freshman when this song was big...

I remember "Oh, Sheila"...don't remember who played the popping bass part(Brad will know).

3. But Gym Craze, I have listened closely to "Boogie Nights" and at both the beginning and end of the song I can clearly hear a bass guitar, not a synth bass...and it's a wicked progession; I love it.

Kudos to Alphonso Johnson for that Osborne bassline. That slap-pop routine IS the song...so darn funky.

New BabeGazer :p :D

PS: Who could forget "Oh Sheila" with the unmistakeable sounds of ... uh, nevermind.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Darn, you're right-
    There is that swingin' bass part at both the intro & outro to "Boogie Nights"-
    It goes like this(all 1/8th notes SWUNG)
    /EB-F#D-EB-DA/BG-AD-EG-AB/

/DA-EC-DA-CG/AF-GC-DF-GA/

The 1st note("E") is played at the 14th fret/D-string...everything is played up there & it all falls nicely in a pentatonic-sorta way. ;)

"Oh, Sheila" sounds like a Prince/The Time production...is it George Nelson Rogers(or is it George Rogers Nelson)on bass?