Who's on first?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BillyB_from_LZ, Oct 24, 2003.

1. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I'm finishing up the electronics on a new bass...warmoth ash J5 body with custom made 35 in. scale neck..very cool.

I'm using EMG pickups, an EMG BTC tone control circuit and an EMG-EXB bass expander (essentially an on-board contour control).

Any ideas about whether I should place the EXB before or after the BTC? Looking at the EXB as an effect, I suppose it should go after the Bass/Treble control but you never know...
  2. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    I don't know

I guess it depends on what sound your going for. Do you want to expand a controlled tone or tone control an expanded sound. I would think the EXB after the BTC. Expand the finished tone.
  3. TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    If I remember correctly, the EXB is a combined bass and treble circuit. So BTC is the same with two different pots for bass and treble. I wouldn't put both in one bass.
  4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The EXB does boost bass and treble, but it also cuts mids at the same time. When the EXB's control is turned all the way down, its response is more or less flat. The BTC on the other hand offers bass and treble boost and cut, with the flat position in the middle.

While it may seem a bit redundant, but my main preamp doesn't have a contour control so this is quite useful for me.