1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who's owned ATKs and Fenders?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JeezyMcNuggles, Apr 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Guys, I'm torn. I'm buying a new bass online in the very near future. I'm either getting the ATK815e, or a Passive Deluxe Precission. They are both around the same price. People who have had both ATKs and Fender PJs, which is the better all around, for all styles bass. Recording and live. Please, no Fender Haters or Ibanez Haters. I just want to know what you know, cause I can't go play them. Thank you.

2. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I've had 2 different ATK 5ers, before all these premium thing. One was a single pickup 305 (Indonesian, 2009) and the current one is a 2 pickup 405 (Korean, 2001). I've also had a friend's mid-2000s Am Dlx P 5 (not P/J but P+humbucker, I know) and I'd take the ATK-405 over it anytime. Some ATKs have thick necks but my MIK 405's is almost as thin as a Stingray5's neck (almost into SDGR territory), thus plays much better than any Fender. Also ATK's have generally better low Bs. You can dial P and J tones on a 2 pickup ATK. Here's a sample from my 405 (P, J, humbucker single coil -bridge-, humbucker parallel and humbucker single coil -neck- in that order).

Jewce likes this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I own several P basses. I have owned, and loved, several Ibanez basses. I played probably 1,000+ gigs on am Ibanez BTB.

NOTHING records better than a P bass to me. There's a magic to it. Having the J pickup makes it more versatile.

Both are great basses. If I had to choose one, it would be the Fender.

Jewce likes this.
  4. Yeah, if I go with the fender, it's a 4 string special addition with a 70s jazz neck. Black and white with the block inlays. If I get the ATK 5er, I'm gonna sand it down and stain it a smokey gray with a black pick guard which. So, that info also comes into the equation. 4 or 5? Work or play? But to me, if the ATK is worth it, I wouldn't mind tricking it out. I'm a painter anyway. But, I have a GSR200 pj 4 string (my first bass) that I've had for about 18 years or so. I love it, but it's kinda into the unplayable stages of road wear. So the fender would be like a replacement/improvement on my old Ibanez. But, I'm very interested in the personality of the ATK. Plus, it's got a B. I know 100% that I'll love the Fender without question. But, if the ATK 5er is worth it, I'd get that one cause I'm loyal AF, and I love that bridge, but the lack of passive is the one that's getting me.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  5. But, this talman is very tempting too Screenshot_20180411-053840_Samsung Internet.

I don't know guys. Thanks for your input though. I hate this sh**t. Why can't I just be rich and have all three?

6. I'm getting the talman. It's just a sure thing. Plus, it's like 30% cheaper. And, it's got passive nordy pick ups with a pre amp. Done.

andruca likes this.