Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who's played a Modulus Genesis?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Slater, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I'm seriously considering buying a Modulus Genesis 5-string. I've played a couple and I like 'em, but I've only spent about 10 minutes playing them.

I know the "It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks" statement applies, but I would still like to read comments from anyone that has spent some time with a Genesis.

Thanks for any replies...

2. Scott Green

Scott Green

Sep 16, 2001
    I own one and like it very much. Mine has a lacquered maple neck, which I like much more than the other ones I have tried. Playability wise, I set the action really low and use DR 40-120 gauge strings. The neck is noticeably wider than that of a Quantum but I like the spacing for slap playing.
    In comparison, I recently put a deposit on a Lakland, and to me the genesis neck feels longer even though they both are 35 scales. Hope this helps a little

3. 66jazzbass

66jazzbass

Aug 8, 2001
    NY, NY
    They're great but make sure that you get one with a maple neck. They made a lot of the early ones with soma, cedar and alder necks and because of the soft neck material they didn't cut through. I owned one with a cedar neck that was amazing but live I was lost. Maple neck not fingerboard here, for sure.

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have played 2 of them for a limited amount of time. I was very impressed. The ones I played had the maple necks (I am almost positive, it's been a while ago). When I go looking for a J type bass in the future, one of these will be on the very top of my list. Very nice basses from my limited first impression. Although they are still not Quantums..........................;)

5. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Thanks guys!

The maple neck comments are the kind of tips I was looking for.

Anyone else?

6. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    I just picked up a genesis 5 string. Maple neck wood, granadillo fretboard, soapbar pickups and 3 band preamp. Spalted maple top.

THis bass absolutely rules. THe maple neck is the way to go for sure. I am a little torn on the pickups selection, but you choose what you are going for I guess. I am fine with the soaps. Love the neck profile, but the body seems to be a little strangely shaped. I am also considering adding a strap button in a lower location on the body. SO I guess that that is the only real gripe that I have with the bass.

I love Modulus basses. I love my Q and I am falling for the G. I wish they made a 6 string Genesis.

7. Scott Green

Scott Green

Sep 16, 2001
    Hey Slater

one more thing to add, before you buy try one with the lacquered MAPLE NECK AND FINGERBOARD These are alot nicer IMO. Also you might want to check out Bass Place in Tempe Arizona, they have some killer deals on some genesis basses. I'm talking like 1300 for a 5 string. I haven't seen any with the maple neck and board, but at that price it might be worth checking out

8. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Thanks for the additional replies. :)

I was able to play a couple of Genesis basses this past weekend and they were very nice. But...

...I also played a 5-string Quantum. The Quantum was totally me! The neck fit in my hand like Modulus measured my hand and molded the neck just for me. Also, the saying that is on the Modulus website, "The Sound In Your Head Is In This Bass.", seems to be true for me as well. :cool:

So... ...Now I'll go back to stuffing my piggy bank until I can afford a Quantum. :( :D