Who's playing NYE?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by bassbully, Dec 28, 2015.

1. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    This guy is! Only the second time in almost 15 years of playing...that's sad. My new band is playing second in a three bill show at a hip rock club. I'm looking forward to it but plan on getting home before midnight.

hrodbert696 likes this.
  2. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    I quit playing that stupid excuse for a holiday a decade ago, just go to bed at the usual time, no big deal

bassbrad likes this.
  3. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    That's where I made the best money... doesn't matter anymore.

4. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

We are playing Cars Land at Disney's California Adventure again. I think this is the fourth year in a row. It's a bummer they are not backlining us this year. But they are paying us extra to come in the night before to set up and sound check. Here's the gig report from last year....

Kelly Rae Band NYE Gig-Happy New Year!

t.com%2F-OfUMlGukLQc%2FVKWJR7BVJRI%2FAAAAAAAAE5A%2F8cle7r1k-aY%2Fw800-h600-no%2FKRB-NYE-2014-18a.png

Happy New Year everyone! I wish you health, happiness, and prosperity. God bless.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

hrodbert696, McG, delta7fred and 3 others like this.
  5. BigBobbyBass

BigBobbyBass

Jan 23, 2015
    We are, and I'm super stoked. Getting paid for hundreds of people to rock out to my music? Yeah, I think I'll keep doing this for as long as I can. I can sleep when I'm dead.

Icemanaroonie and BassCliff like this.
  6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Not us, thanks to our singer for killing the band.

7. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    We decided not to this year.. played last NYE and already booked for next years event..
    Spending time with family.

Maybe doing a benefit/fundraiser gig next weekend for the Dallas/Collin county area's tornado victims.
    11 dead.. homes destroyed by the EF4 that touched down in Garland, then ran up thru Rowlett, Lavon and north-east beyond McKinney.

BassCliff likes this.
  8. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    DJing in a club to fill in for a friend who took the gig, then decided a few weeks ago he'd rather come back to town after the holidays and didn't really want to be here. It's a fun place to play, pretty small, but it'll probably not end till 4 AM or so, which is a bit crappy considering I'm also working full-time in my regular job earlier in the day.

s0c9 and BassCliff like this.
  9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'm doing a sub gig on NYE.

10. Yup, playing a small strip mall club called Swigs. Looks like my Longhorn Natalie, is gonna miss this years festivities.

11. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    My least favorite night of the year to play. But it's also one of the best paying! :thumbsup:

BrewsterRooster, BassCliff and s0c9 like this.
  12. coop

coop

Jun 22, 2002
    Oklahoma
    As of right now, I'll be home on NYE for the first time in over a decade. We had a nasty winter storm here (Winter Storm Goliath Hits the Southern Plains, Midwest and Northeast (PHOTOS)) the club we play has no power and the utility company says it may be 7 - 10 days before they are able to get them back on. A little bummed because we do make make twice our normal rate on NYE, but on the bright side of things I get to stay home with my wife and watch the SOONERS !

McG and BassCliff like this.
  13. SWRnut

SWRnut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Columbia, SC
    We had some friends of the band offer to host a party and hire us at a local American Legion hall. The list of attendees is now over 150, and we will have three guest vocalists join us for a few songs, so it looks to be a great gig. Funny part is that we had no offers until this was put together about six weeks ago, and have since had to turn down two other gigs for that night. It never fails.

McG and BassCliff like this.
  14. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    I have a gig at a golf club that we played back in the summer. As we were packing up the organiser came up to us and told us he wanted us for NYE and he would give us triple what we were on that night.

We were already on top money and if he had asked us we would happily have played it for double, but no one is complaining.

McG, RustyAxe and BassCliff like this.
  15. markoc

markoc

Jan 6, 2014
    North San Diego
    Playing at a big fancy hotel ballroom for the type of money we should all be making. Gotta wear my suit, but I'm not gonna trim my big bushy beard. Sell out? You bet.

RustyAxe, delta7fred and BassCliff like this.
  16. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    I love playing NYE, if I wasn't I would get an invite to a local boosey party where I would probably drink too much. When I am gigging I drive so will get to laugh at all the drunk punters, go to bed completely sober, and wake up without a hangover.

BassCliff and Rocksolid like this.
  17. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    Not this guy. I'd like to say it's because we're fed up with the existing material, so we've decided to cancel all shows until the new album is written...but it was more a case of are we going to play NYE or our actual anniversary (Boxing Day) and in the end, no-one got off the pot until it was too late. But, we have been making some headway on the new material, so at least there is that.

18. 2nd year in a row that I'm not! The venue decided to renovate and that room isn't available yet. Not that upset TBH. It's good money, but I find I've been a bit over it for a while.
    Cooking some meat on the spit, cooking Paella, and hanging out with friends and family at home. Looking forward to it!

I do have a sub gig new years day though!

19. Vanceman

Vanceman

Feb 14, 2007
    So. Cal.
    We are playing at the singer's daughter's wedding. I don't know if I'm being payed. Just got the details of the gig today, it's pretty casual. I look up the location on google maps, the Arts District in Los Angeles, and it's 2 blocks from Skid Row. Won't be drinking too much, as I have to drive home.

20. rufus.K

rufus.K Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I turned down a NYE gig to be with my family

delta7fred, BassCliff and McG like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021