Who's playing NYE?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by bassbully, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Laklandfan

Laklandfan Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    I played last night.

2. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Hope you guys had a great time and a happy new year. My gig went great although the audience was not all digging our set. Oh well that's original music and to be expected.

McG likes this.
  3. modulusman

modulusman Inactive

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    I played a bar gig with the band that I sub for. Pay wasn't all that great, only about $20.00 more than I made last time I played this venue with the same band. The band played the same hours as usual 8-12:30. Bar was fairly packed when we quit and by 1 there was only about 25 people left. I would have started at nine and played to 1:30 but it wasn't my call.

4. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    We played NYE at a very nice resort for good money but the crowd (or lack thereof) was most disappointing. This has always been the case with NYE gigs..too much competition and people not wanting to be on the roads. I've had no good NYE gigs in my history. :(

5. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Wow I always thought NYE gigs were the tops for working bands. Guess I was wrong.

BigBobbyBass likes this.
  6. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    It varies.

NYE 2015 was a private gig and my pay cheque was the best in 47 years of gigging (I haven't attempted to account for inflation though).

NYE 2014 was at a pub and very poorly attended, one reason was that the owner didn't promote it. We always supply posters and he couldn't even be bothered to put them up around the place, we brought most of the audience. He also ripped us off by 50GBP over the agreed price.

We had played there a few times previously (and helped him out at very short notice when another band let him down) but haven't been back since. The drummer used to hold his weekly "men's club" there (aka "a bunch of old farts who get drunk every Wednesday night") but has since switched to other venues.

7. TedH

TedH

Dec 6, 2014
    Westchester, NY
    Dig the 3-piece set up and the Lakland!

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

There were 5 of us. Keys and guitar player not shown.

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Thanks. Rare 55-01 first year run. Upgraded US Bart preamp and USA Hipshot tuners to replace the original Gotoh style. Will be adding the new Bart single coils (in P2 shape) sometime this year. Had a fret job done on it years ago and it has the lowest, buzz free, action on any bass I've ever played.

10. njones89

njones89

Mar 27, 2015
    Sioux Falls
    I played New Year's. I made good money but it wasn't the best gig. We had a good crowd for maybe 2 hours. I probably won't make that kind of money again for a single show!

11. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    My personal best gig pay wise was a NYE show with a country band in a private club. I received $350, prime rib meal and all drinks free for a 2.5 hour show. The gig I did this past NYE was free . The band was paid a small amount and went to the merch fund. We played about 45 minutes.

BrewsterRooster likes this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 20, 2021