Who's playing spirocores, here and in the real world?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Sam Dingle, Oct 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    I'm still on my string hunt. The reds are back on. I'm wondering who is playing spirocores here on talkbass and in the real world. It seems like a lot of people are playing a bunch of different things around here in new orleans, mostly Gut and Evah Pirazzi.

2. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

I think John Goldsby told me he uses Spiros. Maybe it's on his website?

3. John Goldsby uses Spiro Weich, but I don't know if they are 4/4 or 3/4 which makes a substantial difference in tension. (Don't know the scale length of his instrument either which also has a an influence on tension.)

4. threetone

threetone

Sep 27, 2011
    Europe
    Over here in europe, every time i go and see a jazz concert, local or international artists, i would say 80% of the times the bassist plays spiro's, weich or mittels. The other strings i see are Evah's, and anima's once in a while...

Steve Boisen likes this.
  5. threetone

threetone

Sep 27, 2011
    Europe
    Also, 90% of the times the pickup is a full circle, sometimes a realist.

Steve Boisen likes this.
  6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    John plays spiro weich strings. He just put a fresh set on the school bass that he plays when he travels here in the summer. I played that bass on Friday in my improvisation class, and they sound and feel great.

Tom Lane likes this.
  7. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Delaware, USA
    Me. I've had mitts on E and A for a while but recently took off a flexocor deluxe D and G and replaced them with mitts as well. A little bright under the bow, but the pizz is great. On the gig, so far so good. I've been getting definition in my sound, especially on the higher strings, that wasn't there before.

Coincidentally enough, I've had a Realist on for a bit and am going back to a Full Circle that was on my bass briefly, again in an effort to get a more consistently usable stage sound.

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  8. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    I was changing strings all day and decided to try the Evah weich G, the Evah medium G, and I'm gonna check out the Obligato G real quick.

9. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Right now I have Zyex lights on both of my basses, but quite a few local jazz players use Spirocores including former Duke Ellington bassist John Lamb who still gigs regularly at the age of 82. I think some bassists just stick with what works and aren't really interested in trying newer strings.

Other local players I know use synthetic core strings like Zyex, Obligatos and Evah Pirazzi. I only know of two jazz bassists in my area that use gut strings.

- Steve

ColdEye likes this.
  10. Same set of Spiros on the same semi-trashed old Saxon bass. Same set of Weichs on the travel bass.

11. Kai Sanchez

Kai Sanchez Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Miami
    I've been using spiros for about 10 years I think. Before that Helicore Hybrid Mediums. My 1963 Carved Roth bass has a Spiro Weich 3/4 set, (and a full circle), they've been there since January 2015. They sound good, the G is still a little annoying, but whatever. I play many different styles and settings, sometimes depending on the stage the bass sounds dark, and sometimes a little bright. One of the reasons I've stuck with them is that on loud gigs I use earplugs and I can't imagine being able to hear myself with darker strings. When I first got this bass I tried Spiro Mittels and they choked the top with too much tension. The bass sounded really quiet. I tried the spiro weichs 4/4 on this bass but they didn't have the punch of the 3/4 weichs. I've tried other brands but never leave them on for long to give the strings a fair chance. I hate buying strings to come back to spiros! Most people I've seen here playing jazz) in Miami are using Spiros or Helicores.
    The list of famous bassists playing spiros is endless: Dave Holland, Marc Johnson, Marco Panascia, John Goldsby, and then there's hundreds of others using spiros for E, A, and D, and some kind of synthetic or gut G string.

12. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

Spiropalooza 2016!
    I use Spiro Mittel E/C-ext., Spiro Weich A & D, and an Evah P. Weich G.
    "I'll give up my Spiros when you take them from my old, dead hands".
    FYI/TMI - unlike most users, I like to change them every 1.5 - 2 years.

Max George and Kai Sanchez like this.
  13. Jim Dombrowski

Jim Dombrowski Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I've Spiro Mittel E and A with Zyex medium D and G (and a Full Circle pickup) on my Christopher hybrid bass.

In the past I've tried a full set of Spiros and also Evah Weichs. I then experimented with Gamut guts and also several sets of Genssler's.

My bass responds better to the higher tension of Spiros.

14. Bassguyrob

Bassguyrob

Jan 17, 2003
    Spokane WA
    Spiro Weichs on the bottom three(with extended E) with a Zyex G. It sounds great and is well balanced for bow and pizz.

15. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Everything goes with a dead Spiro E string. I may change other strings over time, but there will always be one of the seven (4/4 in weich mitt & stark; 3/4 in weich & mitt; solo in both 3/4 & 4/4) on my double bass. Nothing else gives the combination of definition, volume, foundation and tone for my playing. The most underrated E string is the 3885,5W 3/4 Weich E string, my current E string, which has all the tonal heft of the 4/4 mitt or stark, but is not too heavy, being between the 4/4 weich and 4/4 mitt in feel.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    Levin, Kai Sanchez and james condino like this.
  16. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    I have Spiro reds 4/4 on my bass (105cm). I have bought an Oliv G but the more I have the Spiro G the less I want to change it. The D, A & E are never leaving this bass.

bskts247 likes this.
  17. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    I'll take that oliv when you give up on it :)

18. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    First dibs for you...is new and never installed. I have to schedule an appointment with my luthier to shave the bridge a little and also to widen the G string groves but the more I wait for it the happier I am with the Spiro G.

bskts247 likes this.
  19. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    Luckily my bridge is already open for it :D

20. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Any problems going back to the Spiro G with a bridge and nut cut for the Oliv G? and while we are at it: How do the Oliv compares to the Spiro volumewise?

bskts247 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021