Who's Ray Brown?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by cassanova, Apr 30, 2002.

1. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I've heard the name and I cant place it. He's one of the influances on one of my influances (Willie Weeks), so Im trying to find out a bit about him as well. Who has he played with? What are some tunes that he recorded that you'd recomend? etc etc etc..
  2. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    He's the guy that has a gig that i'm going to see on May 9th.
  3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    He's a 3rd cousin of my uncles friend sisters uncles other wife's brother.
  4. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Cassanova, I guess I'm getting old (come to think of it I know I'm getting old!)
    Ray is without a doubt one of the masters of the upright bass- He goes back a long way, and sets standards for finesse, taste, and intelligence that
    every player, no matter what their style may be, looks up to!
    Best thing to do is check out some CD's he's recorded under his own name-Ray Brown Trio,
    Ray is very much a purist, playing the jazz standards. Doesn't get into Fender bass, or fusion
    but his chops and ideas are so great that everything he does is fresh.
    I hope you do follow-up & listen to his work-
    I have a real open mind, but if someone doesn't dig what Ray Brown has to say musically, they have chosen the wrong instrument to play!!
    He is one of the best of the best.
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There's the 3 Double Bass thing with Christian McBride and others!

Wait a minute shouldn't this be in Double Bass-land rather than BG?
  6. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Merv Griffin?
    I used to get my butt home after school to catch a glimpse of Ray on the old Merv Griffin Show...& Griffin used to feature him, too!
    BTW, Brown used to also play a sunburst Fender P-bass on some numbers(like the closing theme song).

Back when I first got into buying Jazz, it seemed as though it was either Brown or Ron Carter on every thing I bought.
    Oscar Peterson is one of Brown's co-horts(Night Train w/ Eddie Thigpen on cans, I believe).

And Brown has a beautiful, full-flavoured tone...
  7. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Also did work with Joe Pass and Ella Fitzgerald (who happens to also be his ex-Wife.....Ella, not Joe ;) ).
  8. Wow small world, my roomates uncle went to school with him.

Ray Brown also played with some small timers like Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, Cannonball Adderley, and Bill Evans.

Try www.allmusic.com
  9. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    thanks for the links,,,but ease up on the atitude will ya. I post question here, because one thats what this sites for, and two other who may not have heard of him might get turned onto him as well. And umm by posting here didnt I use the internet? ;)

see shows what I know about him, I had no idea he was a DB guy, thats why I posted here.

to those of you who seriously answered my question thank you very much.
  10. Blux

Feb 5, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    The recording mentioned by Bruce Lindfield is "Superbass 2" with Ray Brown, John Clayton and Christian McBride. I highly recommend it to everyone who loves music. There is some percussion (on sone tunes) but 3 purely beautiful basses played by three masters. Does not even matter what they are playing, rocks, swings and makes one want to play. It was recorded live at the Blue Note in NYC.
  11. Cannonball Adderley: Jazz Profile also w/ Sam Jones
    Cannonball Adderley Collection, Vol. 4

Bill Evans: Quintessence (1976)
    Bill Evans: Les Incontournables a greatest hits.
    Also with Sam Jones, Percy Heath, Lafaro.
    Been Looking for a copy of this one, figured it would be a good sample disk of some of the DB heavy hitters.

Sonny Rollins WAY OUT WEST Haven't picked that one up yet. Nice album cover.
  12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Seems like when I was coming up it was always Ray or Ron Carter that I would see in the high profile gigs... like Merv;)
  13. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Ray Brown was one of the players in the Oscar Peterson Trio back in the '50s.

I also have a couple of discs of him with the L.A. 4 - Laurindo Almeida on guitar, Bud Shank on alto and flute, Shelly Manne on drums and Ray on the doghouse.

Ray is The Man when it comes to jazz double bass!
  14. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I generally have to sit down and not operate any heavy machinery when I listen to the bass stylings of Mr. Brown... for he swings so hard that I often times fall over. :D
  15. Ed in all honesty I had never heard of Sonny Dallas until a couple of years back when I heard you speaking of him on Motion. Ray Brown has probally played on ten times what Sonny has, (or at least when I was searching about him that is what I found) and the disks are a little more available. Ray always has that classic smoothness, I love it but it isn't what I always want to hear, now if Andrew Hills Point of Depature starts to sound to smooth for me a little Ray Brown before hand will help to bring the edge forward.

P.S. is Sonny Dallas still recording?
  16. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    If that happens, try some Cecil or Don Pullen(The Sixth Sense or Warriors, the disc I'm spinning right now at work. Drummer Bobby Battle is kickin' a little ass on this one w/ Fred Hopkins on bass & Chico Freeman on horn).

I know you like POD, whaddaya think of the 'companion' discs from that era like-
    Dolphy's Out To Lunch
    Williams' Lifetime or Spring
    Hill's Black Fire
  17. I have a Cecil Taylor disk around here somewhere, it didn't grab me, I will have to give it a second chance. I will have to pick up some Don Pullen, I haven't really followed him or Tony Williams solo music. From what I hear Black Fire is a great disk but I have not been able to find it in print. Out to lunch that is in my breakfast list. When work hands me a high pressure week to start the day I have a couple of disks I choose from: Zappa's Grand Wazoo, POD, Residents' God in Three Persons, Dolphy's Out to Lunch. Enough tension in the music to make me forget about how much the day will blow. When you turn it off the release is sweet.
    Duke and the rest are for dinner, only because scotch isn't great for breakfast.
  18. Ray Brown is undoubtedly the biggest influence on upright players, I saw him once and he was huge. Paul Chambers happens to be my fave, but Ray is undeniably the king.
  19. AltecJ

May 28, 2002