1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who's rockin' 8's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by emblymouse, Feb 17, 2016.

1. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    I'm at a cabinet crossroads again, and my ears are asking for help.

I am having trouble discerning pitch in the lower registers. It's blurry. I'm a fingerstyle trad kind of player. I've narrowed it down to the cabinet and placement. I have unintentionally gone from 15's to 12's and now 2 10's over the past few years. I know speaker size does not dictate sound, and actually the Fender Pro 210 I'm using has mucho booty. My power for the foreseeable future is 800W of MarkBass.
    I'm interested in the use of 8" drivers and if they can help focus the pitch more for me. I already use an fdeck HPF. I need small and not too heavy. 1 cab if possible. I see a variety of options from LDS and am considering a build. I've used a stand on and off but I'd like not to have to carry it. (lazy, or what?) Some small gigs w/ no PA support included.

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I have something you may be interested in. This was my first build by Don (LDS) and is a fantastic cab, however I am no longer gigging so it just sits not being loved and gigged with. I have been on the fence about selling it but really, it needs to go to a good home. :cool:

LDS-286_1280_8331a.

LDS-286_1280_8335.

LDS-286_1280_8337.

3. Interceptor

Interceptor

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    As the OP knows, I've been playing a five string fretless for years.

I struggle less with pitch when I can hear overtones clearly. If a cabinet sounds at all dull and thuddy when I get close to it, I won't like it when playing with others.

4. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    PM ya

5. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Replied to. :cool: