Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who's rockin a 'Livestrong' cancer bracelet

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Figjam, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    As of today, i am, anyone else?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I was given one quite a while back. I never knew how popular they are until someone offered me $20 for mine recently.

They are too small for my wrist, so I put it around coffee cup at work.

-Mike

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    For a day. Because my step sister really wanted one... not because she gives a rats ass about cancer, but because they are trendy... and i just wanted to mock her. i gave it back after i had mocked her.

4. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Yeah people wear them because they are 'trendy'. It kinda bothers me.. Actually it bothers me a lot.. It's easier just to donate the money directly..

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    <--------------- Trendy :D

-Mike

6. I would if they sold them here in Aus. I always buy fundraising badges.

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I just bought one off ebay 'cause its trendy... neeeeeeeeer! hate me!

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have one because my brother had cancer when he was 10, as well as a few of my grandparents that died from cancer.

9. i'm just about the only person around here NOT wearing one. i'd like a parody bracelet of some sort.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Heh someone should find some funny pun for 'livestrong'...

11. how about a red one that says "strongbad"?

12. I personally think they are ugly... especially sence i wear a lot of black and blue... And all my other bracelets are hemp and stuff, but anyway, i lug one around because I support the big Armstrong and what he's tryiing to do. I bought mine from a Nike factory.

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont personally find them attractive either. I have a hemp necklace and a differnt one with black/metal cylindrical beads on it. Kinda stands out, but thats alright. I dont particularly like being seen as someone who just wears teh bracelet because its trendy, and this might eventually lead to me not wearing it. I think knowing that i payed for it and donated etc is enough, no need to show it off. But for now, its on.

14. I had one, but it snapped. I had it, though, cuz it was helping his cancer foundation. NOT cuz it was trendy. (even though i was super sexy with it ;) )

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Are they safe to wear in shower/get soap on etc, or will that make them brittle and break?

16. ... Their rubber... why would they break in the shower?

Unless you are talking about the hemp bracelets... in that case, i just take them off before i shower.

How could you? :p

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    No im not talking about hemp, i wear both of my necklaces 24/7 and they go everywhere with me and dont break.. The nonhemp one has been on me nonstop for 3 years now.

My reasoning was that sometimes rubber mixed with chemicals such as chlorine can cause them to become brittle and snap etc, so i was suggesting the idea that the drying out effects of soap might have an effect.

18. Maybe 'diehard' by any chance? Bruce Willis not included.

19. :ninja: lol... :smug:

20. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I am, as seen below

[​IMG]

My parents are both survivors, and they inspired me to "live Strong" my whole life, before it was cool.

I also did the Ride for the Roses this morning - I've been cycling since May, and my wife and I decided to celebrate our anniversary raising money for a good cause and riding our bikes. (I whooped hiney, by the way!)