Who's rockin the Aero's ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Sep 19, 2006.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Hi Guys

Whose rockin the Aero pick ups here ? What model are you using and what is your impression of them ?. THanks

2. I purchased an set of Aero Type 1 jazz pickups not too long ago, and put em' on eBay shortly thereafter.

They have nice lows, nice high's but no mids!!!

Larry at Aero will argue that because his pickups have such a large frequency response, extending so deep, and high, that the mids "SEEM" to be less... and you know what, perhaps he right. He's practically a scientist... but they just weren't my bag.

MG

3. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I put in a set (not sure which type - the standard one) of Jazz pickups a few years ago and I love 'em! More than enough of everything for me, including mids without the honk. I love how huge they sound.

The current control setup on my Jazz is concentric V/T for each pickup with a master Volume push/pull (series/parallel) - all passive. Though I usually run the pickup volumes dimed, having a tone on each makes it pretty flexible. I can get it growly or get a nice midrange bump without even going to the amp. Larry is also right on in this regard - keep them passive. I tried them for a while with a J-Retro and to me they sounded much better without it.

They're my bag in spades!

4. blmeier7

blmeier7 Supporting Member

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    I installed the Aero's (type 1) in my geddy lee jazz last week but haven't been able to tell much difference between them and the stock p/ups. There is a little more low end than the stock fender p/ups but not as much as I was expecting. I will have to spend some more time with them before I decide to get rid of them.

The Nordstrand single coils and the SD Antiquity II's are getting good feedback too, I would love to compare them all.

5. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I have Aero Type 1s in my JO4 and they rock. They do have more low end than the Fralins I had in the JO5. But I think they have a good cutting midrange. I've been trying this bass with my Sadowsky outboard, and oftentimes like the pups with the pre.

I have some NJ5Fs on order for my Fender V, so I'll be able to compare.

6. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    I have a set of Type I's in this bass

9fd4f9a5.gif

and those who have played it all say it would pass as a Sadowsky (playability and sound) in a blind test - especially when I replaced the U Retro Deluxe (as shown in the image above) for an 18v OBP-1 set-up as Vol + Blend + Bass/Treb + Passive

for my preferences, I find the Type I's to be a little harsh when running thru either of my rigs (WT800 + Avatar SB112 + Delta 210T ... or the SuperRedhead 210T combo) but then I'm not looking to take the title of jousting champion in a Slapfest.

I find the Nordies to be more in line with what I hear and prefer, but this is just my opinion and is irrelevant for someone who really digs the Aero sound

all the best,

R

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Did you guys find the aeros more costly then other pick ups ?

8. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I had the type 1's in the FBB 5er I assembled, and that bass had the best sound I have ever heard! Yeah they do cost more, but they are hand made by one (Larry) guy, and not mass produced in a factory. I also have a type 1 Pbass pup in my Pbass I assembled two years ago and it too is the best sounding P I have heard! I'm building a new 5 string that is either going to have Aeros or a set of Villex pickups

9. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    I'm rockin' the Aero's (as best I can) and I'm totally happy with them.

I have a pair of E series dual coils with the CTSHB (coil tapped series humbucker) option.
    Basically, each dual coil can be switched to a single coil.
    It's a nice, versatile configuration.

Excellent pickups.

Chad

10. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I just bought this same bass, The type 1's are pretty incredible sounding. When I bought the FBB I thought I might change out the pickups for an active set but now that i have played it I am kinda swinging the other way. These pups have more output than my Warwick with a MECs and a bart pre and better freq range and responce. I'll repost after a few gigs (have only had it for 2 days and only played 1 rehearsal) and let you know my verdict. I have never dealt with Larry directly but the man knows his shiznit!!!!!

Also, how do these pup pair with a high end pre (sadowsy, aguilar)?

11. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I'm rocking Aero Type 1 Jazz pups in my main worship bass at church and it's very even across the frequency range, and I've gotten several positive remarks on the tone from various people(other bassists, band members, and sound guys). If a song doesn't totally scream for the fretless, I'm usually grabbing the Aero loaded J5. Making me want to convert my Squier to a P-5 if Aero ever made a P-5 pup

12. diptixon

diptixon

Oct 29, 2004
    Atlanta
    They're stock on my Lakland Skyline Darryl Jones 5... they sound great; using the stock tone control on the bass I can get almost any sound with both volumes dimed... no need for a preamp in my opinion...

13. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I'm digging the Aeros passive on a JO4 (I think they were factory installed...)
    They still sound good with these dead @$$ strings; deader than even I like them (when I like them dead - just depends)

Anyway, trying to say I concur with the previous post. I can't wait to play a DJ. If things go right, I should have a nice 'hybrid' going on. But I digress.

Aeros good.

14. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    I have a set of Aero Type 1's in my Marcus Miller, set up passive V/B/T. They are very clear, powerful, defined pickups. I used a .22uf cap for the tone control, as Larry recommended to me, but if i were doing it all over again, i'd use the typical .47uf cap, as I don't feel that it can get dark enough with the cap i have. As I remember, they weren't that expensive. I don't remember for sure, but i think it was 100$ for the pair, covers included. Also, you won't find better service than you will get from Larry.

15. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Aero's run $200+ a pair depending on what model you get

16. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Where did you find the wiring diagram for this setup. could you post it, I am intrigued :eyebrow:

17. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I have a Skyline DJ4 with Aeros and I've never had any problems cutting trough live. I actually get comments from everyone when they hear my band live. A lot of people have complemented me on the sound of the bass and the looks too. I just love it and keep on mind I also have a Srtingray5 which is my backup now. I just love that bass.

Aeros rule IMO. They do have very powerful lows and highs but I find the mids, specially the high-mids, very powerful and cutting.

18. bassman blue

bassman blue Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2002
    Shuswap, BC Canada
    Aero P/J type 1's in my Devon. Absolutely the best pickups I've ever played.

19. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I run the type 1's in my Reverend PJ. I like 'em a lot. Very vintage. Very punchy, a little 'raw and unrefined' sounding which is exactly what I want from that bass. Not cheap but IMO one of the best PJ set's on the planet for the roots rock scene. Like I said. I dig 'em

20. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine
    I had some K series soapbars in an Acacia I sold a while back with a U-retro. They sounded pretty good, but I never really fell in love with the sound of that bass. I dunno though, it may have been the pickups, the preamp or the bass itself that didn't sound right. The high C was very thin sounding.

Those rectangular polepieces sure were wierd!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021