Who's the bassist on "On The Rocks" by Joyann Parker?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by cazclocker, Apr 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. cazclocker

cazclocker My social skills are rapidly dwindling.

Oct 24, 2014
    Newton, Kansas
    Just heard a kickin' track by someone named Joyann Parker on The Phoenix Radio (an internet streaming all-blues station). The track was called Hit Me Like a Train, and the bassline was a study in how a really good bass player can kick a song in the butt and drive the song forward, almost pushing and shoving the song!
    Anyway, a few minutes later I bought the whole album on iTunes for my phone, and it's pretty good - glad I bought it. According to her website, she appears to only play local to her area.
    It's the bass playing in Hit Me Like a Train that makes me wonder WHO THE HECK IS THAT PLAYER!
    Anybody??

2. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Her backing band is Sweet Tea out of Minneapolis. Their bass player is David Harris.

Jeannine-Marie-Photography-MN-photographer-Twin-Cities-photographer-Sweet-Tea-Band_0154.jpg

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    cazclocker likes this.
  3. cazclocker

Oct 24, 2014
    Newton, Kansas
    Thanks for that - very cool. I really like the band, and Joyann's vocals are great. EDIT: I can't seem to find anything about the band with Google. Are they session guys?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  4. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    It's my understanding that Sweet Tea was a known entity in the Minneapolis-Saint Paul area for years before joining forces with Joyann. Apparently, Michael Carvale was Sweet Tea's original bass player, so I'm not actually sure if it's Carvale or Harris that did the sessions for On The Rocks.

cazclocker likes this.
  5. cazclocker

Oct 24, 2014
    Newton, Kansas
    Interesting. I can't seem to find much info on Sweet Tea, or either of the two bass players. I've tried Google, Startpage, and even Facebook...nothing. Either way, Joyann and the band continue to knock me out several days after I purchased the album.
    Thanks for your input, garp!
    EDIT: just found some info on Michael Carvale... youtube vids, facebook, etc...

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  6. Joyann78

Joyann78

Apr 10, 2017
    Hello all!

Sweet Tea was the band that I started with back in 2013, we had our first show in May of that year. At that time it was just a cover band. We then rebranded to Joyann Parker and Sweet Tea and then Sweet Tea was disbanded and I am now performing as Joyann Parker. All the music is my original music. I have the same guitarist, Mark Lamoine, but a different backing band completely. My current bass player is Michael Carvale who has been with me since October 2015.

Thanks for the interest! Keep tabs at www.joyannparker.com. :)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    garp and cazclocker like this.
  7. cazclocker

Oct 24, 2014
    Newton, Kansas
    Well, guess what. I just personally talked to Joyann Parker (well, it was on Facebook messenger) and she said that Dave Harris was indeed the bass player who plays on her album. She also mentioned that she's going back into the studio with her current band next month - May, 2017!!
    Holy moly!! While I was typing this, unknown to me a reply was being posted by NONE OTHER THAN JOYANN PARKER HERSELF! Holy poop....

8. cazclocker

Oct 24, 2014
    Newton, Kansas
    WOW! Not only do I hear from you personally on Facebook, but here too!!! WOW!!! Thank you for letting me know the answer to my original question. Sure would love to catch your gigs sometime, sooner rather than later.

9. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Well...How cool is that? Welcome to TB, Joyann...love your stuff. And thanks to cazclocker for being so inquisitive!

cazclocker likes this.
  10. Dave Harris

Dave Harris

Apr 10, 2021
    I was Sweet Tea's original bassist. Thank you. dt_studioganapes2.jpg

cazclocker likes this.
  11. cazclocker

Oct 24, 2014
    Newton, Kansas
    Hey Dave! Pleased to meet you!

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021