Who's the bassist with the Billy Taylor Trio?

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by perytojie, Aug 19, 2005.

1. perytojie

Dec 2, 2004
    Nancy, FRANCE
    I recently listened one of Billy Taylor albums from the 'Live At Kennedy Center' series : Billy Taylor Trio & Maynard Ferguson...

I was wondering who's this bassist who chops incredible licks on 'A' Train, Night In Tunisia etc. Anyone got a clue about who the guy is, who he played with, available albums, what's his setup...?

I searched the web but all the details i could find about the gig was that Billy Taylor played as a 'TRIO', nothing more than that. His bandmates are not mentionned more in detail : that's gratitude!!!
  2. I saw Billy Taylor perform about 5 years ago with a bassist named Chip Jackson. It was one of the first times I saw jazz performed live and I was amazed. I don't know if he's still with him though.
  3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Yeah, current lineup is Chip Jakcson on bass and Winard Harper on drums.
  4. Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Chip Jackson is great... I took some lessons with a friend of his named Genevieve Rose... another monster bassist herself. She told me she always thought his solos were a bit "busy."
  5. VTDB

Oct 19, 2004
    Not to go too off topic but Genevieve Rose teaches at UMASS or Hampshire or somewhere doesn't she? I saw her play last year sometime...really great.
  6. perytojie

Dec 2, 2004
    Nancy, FRANCE
    Would any one know of records he participated to?
  7. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Try "Music is keeping us young" on priceministrer
  8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    There's also IS THERE A JACKSON IN THE HOUSE (which may be a play on words with the Art Ensemble of Chicago's A JACKSON IN MY HOUSE), which is a recording of duos with pianist Larry Willis and trio with Dave Kikoski and Billy Hart.

And YOU ARE TOO BEAUTIFUL under Dave Matthews name, LADIES MAN under Teddy Edwards name, records with Eric Alexander, geez do a SEARCH...
  9. perytojie

Dec 2, 2004
    Nancy, FRANCE
    thanx... i'm gonna try and find those albums. any other suggestions?

Aug 26, 2005
    .....yeah...come see Chip live with Billy Taylor....he will tire you out just watching him!

.....also, I'm pretty sure Chip was with Woody...don't know if recorded with the herd, however. Some Woody expert might be able to tell you.
  11. relacey

Sep 18, 2004
    Digging up an old thread --

Here's a clip of Chip Jackson with the Billy Taylor Trio playing Is There a Jackson in the House.
  12. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Old thread coming back again! Wow, what a fine player, heard a version of "One For The Woofer" on the Youtube. Chip Jackson knocks me out! I know that Dr. Taylor passed..is Chip Jackson still with us? That's a guy I'd love to hear live.
  13. damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    Great playing, great style. More and more I am charmed by that nasty, 70s/80s amp sound. He sounds great.