1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who's The Best??? (Finish Content)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Thingus995, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Thingus995

Thingus995

May 30, 2008
    Who can do the best dye/transparent finishes in your experience and opinions???? Got a project I've been cookin up and I'm trying to get a bill of materials set up and ready to go (I really did learn somethin in shop class lol) so I know what the final $$$ is gonna look like... Any exemplary finishes you've done/had done/have seen??? (preferably in the deepest, darkest red dye possible) thanks guys!!

2. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    I think that for DIY jobs, once you achieve a certain level of competence in your craft then there is no more "best" finish. Every finish job should be deep and glassy smooth with no significant imperfections and should come out looking just as intended.

IMO.

3. Thingus995

Thingus995

May 30, 2008
    oh i am most definitely not gonna do this myself... i was hoping to get some opinions regarding known and unknown finishers... building (well, assembling really) is going to be a one time thing i believe, so was hopin to have someone else do the finish for me

4. Marty Bell is a great finisher,he used to do all the G & L custon sparkle finishes.He used to be here in Houston but I think he's back in California now.

Try a search for "Marty Bell refinishing",should give you the link..................lotsa cool pictures on his gallery page.

5. musicelectronix

musicelectronix

Jul 8, 2007
    Hüstın, TX
    Lead Designer, Zeibek Boutique Pedals
    How come I didn't know about this/him before? Too bad he moved...

6. Yeah,he was a great secret while he was here,but think he went back to Cali. in the late 90's:atoz:

7. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Insert cool nickname? Nobody's given me one yet. Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Twin Cities - MN
    Pat Wilkins (http://www.wilkinsguitars.com/) is reputed to have equals, but none better.

It should also be noted that my personal experience says Michael Dolan does awesome work. He made&finished a 5PH body in surf green for me.

8. Thingus995

Thingus995

May 30, 2008
    WOW @ the hollowbody and the drum on his gallery page... [Garth] SCHAWING [/Garth]

9. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    GHS Strings
    Pat Wilkins does amazing work! The best IMO.

10. Thingus995

Thingus995

May 30, 2008
    checkin his site out now!! thanks guys, appreciate the snappy replies!!

11. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    GHS Strings
    Pat's site is good but if you want to get an even better idea of his work, check out the NYC basses on Sadowsky's site because the majority of that stuff is done by him from what I understand.

12. Does Pat do nitro finishes? I ask because I am putting a '62 style P bass and Marty Bell does NOT do nitro.(Poly base coat,urethane top coats)So i am looking for options on a nitro finish.
    Thanks in advance.
    L

13. Thingus995

Thingus995

May 30, 2008
    im a thousand percent sure its been asked and answered about a billion times but whats the difference between nitro and poly? i remember one being thinner, can't remember which lol

14. If I remember correctly,poly finishes are harder.They used to be thicker as well but i THINK (no expert here) that poly finishes have become thinner since the early 80's.

Perhaps someone with better knowledge than I can chime in.

15. Nitrocellulous Lacquer is not, IMHO a good finish. Granted, it is sought after, desired and loved, mainly because it was the original finish of the early guitars. But, it fades, it shrinks, it cracks, it chips easily, etc, etc. Modern finishes are better "protectors" but they are not romantic. A thin finish, may have better tone.

16. Thingus995

Thingus995

May 30, 2008
    so if im looking for a resilient dye finish id be lookin at poly?

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Thanks for the mention. Here's my redburst fretless.
    DSC07944.

The color went on top of the clear basecoat.

18. Thingus995

Thingus995

May 30, 2008
    Very nice!! Does Brubaker finish other bodies?

19. BananaKing

BananaKing Supporting Member

May 15, 2008
    Vancouver, B.C.
    No problem. That is some amazing work.

So that's how he does it......