Who's the dude who plays with Ben Harper?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by TooFunkToDrunk, Mar 1, 2002.

1. I'm thinking of the dude who plays on the album
    "burn to shine" and wondering if he/she plays on
    all the other stuff... lemme know if you have an
    answer for me.
  2. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I believe it's Juan Nelson.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Juan Nelson, he was on the cover of BP (August 2001)
  4. right on... that guy's got groove. thanks.
  5. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I think Juan Nelson's been around for most of Ben Harper's career. The MTD 535 that he plays was given to him by Ben Harper. Sounds especially amazing on the live CD - "Live from Mars". Check it out;)
  6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    I love Juan's work and a big reason why i even bother with Harper. cause its just too bad Harper writes the hokiest lyrics. yeech! :p~~~ i kinda wish he got another drummer too, cause his feel hampers Juan's killer groovin'.
  7. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Gawd, he plowed a groove a mile wide on "Ground On Down" -- one of my nominations for greatest groove EVER.
  8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I saw Ben Harper live and Juan blew my mind.
  9. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL

And, I think the drumming is superb! What do you think it is that give Juan his room?
  10. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I've seen them live before, they were pretty good. Juan was the best part of the show by far.

I actually have Juan's old Spector NS5XL (the one that he's pictured with on the album "Fight For Your Mind"). He sold it through Bass Northwest several years ago.
  11. Keh

Aug 30, 2001
    jokerjkny, listen to "god fearing man" on fight for your mind and tell me if you still don't like the drumming. "excuse me mr." is another great groove, both bass and drums.

As far as the lyrics go, they are a bit hippie-ish, but I think they fit with the "folk" style of his music.
  12. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    those are great songs, but i dunno, i just wish he wasnt sooo behind the beat. makes the urgency of the songs kinda lag. i'd love to hear what Juan would do with Carter Beauford, or Stewart Copeland.