Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who's the easier drummer to play with?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Phil Smith, May 31, 2001.

1. Men

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. Women

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Drum Machine

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Every time that I've played with a female drummer, I have not had a problem with locking in with them immediately, that experience however has not been the same with male drummers. Anyone have a similiar experience? Why do you think that's so?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    pure coincidence

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I've always found that transsexuals have the best meter.

(I don't see how gender would play a role).

4. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I've never had the honor of playing with a female drummer, and I haven't played in a band situation in around 2 years, so I voted with what I've been practicing with, the good ole drum machine. I'm sure it's easier to lock into a groove with actual people, and I've never really had trouble locking in with the guys I've played with in the past. I would like to play with a female drummer though, come to think of it I'd like to get into a band.

5. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    if they can keep steady & both do subtle adjustments to make it lock its sweeet-doesn't matter of gender 2 me though. thats all

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well I've played with two female drummers recently and had great difficulty getting along with their playing - I won't say "locking in" as this was Jazz and it's not really like that.

Of the other hundred or so male drummers - there have been good and bad, but with most of them it would have been easier to lock in with a drum machine and I have often played as a duo with a singer and drum machine with no problem whatsoever. Undoubtedly though the best drummers I have played with have been male but I think this is just because there a more of them. I don't think the gender thing is anything to do with it - you probably just need to play with more and better drummers!

I did play at a workshop where Clare Martin the well-known (in the UK) Jazz singer sat in on drums, as we had no drummer and got on very well with her time and playing, although she kept asking me if she was "putting me off ! So my view is that it's more to do with the musical "level" of the player and their ability to listen, rather than anything else.

7. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    IMO, you still "lock in" when it's Jazz, in which case the rhythm section "swings" better.

I once saw an 8 year old boy at a jam session/cook out/party do an amazing job on the drums. His time was tight, he was attentive and landed every fill right on the beat. I was impressed

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well this has connotations for me of bass and kick drum playing exactly together, which I don't like; also the best Jazz drummers I have played with, have done far more than this phrase conveys.

9. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Hey EQUALIZER, point taken, the universe is vast.

Re: Blackman and Carrington, are they drummers one wants to play with or drummers one wants to explore dominatrix fantasies with?

10. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    I may have heard them on a recording, but the names do not ring a bell in my head. I'll keep an eye out for those names when I'm looking through liner notes on stuff I have or may get. I may have seen Lynne Carrington play at one of those Sam Ash drum deals at Manahattan Center, whether it was her or not, that woman took care of business.

11. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I agree with Ted Nukewa, you have to jam with a female drummer with good chops, then you will change your opinion. The gender issue is the same with drums as it is with bass, its not one.

Mike

12. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I did a clinic with Jim Widener (bassist with Stan Kenton for years, has his own band now) and he gave a short thing about locking in on a swing tune. While you don't lock in with the kick, you *do* lock in with the ride cymbal.

Also when I play jazz, when I'm grooving with the drummer, we're hearing the time the same way, which is felt more than heard, but is locking non the less.

13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    transgendered people too. Maybe I should add MTF and FTM trannies...:D

Will

14. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I have a cross-dressing drum machine.