1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who's the most affordable graphite bass builder?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mastershake, May 13, 2011.

1. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    Who's the most affordable graphite bass builder? company name.

2. Octoplus

Octoplus

Aug 17, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    Are you thinking all-graphite (body and neck), or just neck?

3. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    either or. or both

4. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    used Modulus models are actually pretty affordable, depending on options.

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Peavey G-Bass. Usually go for around $500.

6. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    you can name a company(s) for body&neck and another for just neck as long as it fits the most affordable criteria.

7. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    you can even name a specific bass.

8. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    So Cal
    What is your definition of affordable?

I buy "previously owned" and enjoyed a Zon Sonus Custom 5, a Peavey B-Quad 4 and a Peavey G-Bass... there was more than a $1000 difference between the first and the last.

I always wanted to bolt a Moses Graphite neck onto a "Fender style" body of my choice and see how it measured up against the 50 other basses I have owned.

9. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Peavey G-V graphite neck 5 banger. There's one in the TB classifieds even as we speak...I mean type. The Modulus Genesis 5's can be had for $1000-1400.

Riis

10. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    i was thinking of Modulus too but that Peavey G-Bass looks interesting. is it all graphite or just the neck and more importantly do they still make it?

11. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    when i say affordable i mean to say cheapest in comparison to other graphite basses.

12. There aren't many graphite basses currently in production. Zon and Modulus offer graphite necks. Status does too, but also has all-graphite models. Last time I checked their prices were competitive for a high end bass. Miller makes a few graphite models, starting at 1390 Euro. There are probably a couple of others.

Used, the G bass will be the cheapest, wood body/graphite neck. Similar to the Modulus Flea/Funk bass, but after trying both back-to-back I preferred the Peavey. They can be had for what you'd pay for a neck alone.

I paid ~$700 for my Steinberger L2, but I got lucky. Awesome bass. Much prefer it to the Zons, Modulususeses,and the G bass I've played. Not everybody can look cool playing one though.

13. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    i suppose i could buy a graphite neck as mentioned above. i just dont know how it will measure up to an all graphite bass. moses graphite was mentioned is there any other company(s) in the cheapest category that sells graphite necks .

14. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    So Cal
    I believe the absolute cheapest way to get a really great playing bass with a composite neck is to buy a used Peavey G-Bass. They stopped making new ones many years ago. All G-Basses have 35" scales.

Download the G-Bass owner manual here: Peavey.com

If you already own a "Fender style" bass you could also bolt on a new or used Moses Graphite neck for around the same price as a whole G-Bass.

15. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Cheapest graphite necked bass? Used older Zon.

Keep your eyes open and they can be had as low as $1200

16. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    hmm iv never heard of miller cant seem to find it either. fyi i have a jazz bass

17. Octoplus

Octoplus

Aug 17, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    I found a G-Bass being sold on Craigslist for $150 last year. The seller totally knew it was underpriced, but didn't want to deal with the hassle of shipping & Paypal. Should've bought it.

You can also find reasonably priced Moses and Status necks here in the For Sale: Accessories. I think that there are a couple of fretless graphite necks for sale there now ;) These are a less expensive way to get a solid idea of what graphite does for the sound and feel of an instrument, especially if the neck is being used to replace a standard wood neck.

Top of my wishlish: Musicman Cutlass HH

18. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I prefer a composite neck mated with a wood body for more of a traditional response. The all-composite Statii take on a whole new character which may be good or bad depending on your needs.

Riis

19. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    im looking for the option that gives me more of a hi-fi sound rather than the traditional sound as far as full graphite bass vs just graphite neck goes,

20. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    im guessing the full graphite bass wood be more hi-fi.