Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

who's the mystery Latin bassplayer?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Belka, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Belka

Belka

Dec 10, 2003
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Hi all.

I've just been checking out a Latin pop compilation CD I got ages ago. There is one track on there which is a Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony duet called No Me Ames. Anyway, the whole song is awesome, but the bassplayer just smokes throughout. I wonder if it is someone called Ruben Rodriguez who was featured in bass Player a few years ago.

I remember him saying that he had a Fodera five with Bartolini pickups, and the gorgeous tone on this tracks sounds like it could fit that description.

So, any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. It could be Mel Brown, he was on marc Anthonys tour a couple of years ago.

3. Rodriguez

Rodriguez

Nov 6, 2004
    NYC
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification & LaBella Strings
    Belka, that is not RR, that was recorded in Miami, w/ my friend and mentor Sal Cuevas, he was using at the time a Yamaha Nathan East model. I (RR) recorded Marc Anthony's 1st two CD's, back in the early 90's here in NYC.

Easy,
    RR

4. Belka

Belka

Dec 10, 2003
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Wow, thanks for the info Ruben :) I'll be sure to check some more of his stuff out. What projects are you working on at the moment?

5. Rodriguez

Rodriguez

Nov 6, 2004
    NYC
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification & LaBella Strings
    Check out SC on almost anything on the Fania label, (be sure to do it quick ... the catalog was sold and may be out of print soon) especially:

Ray Barretto: Rican- Struction
    Willie Colon: Solo and Noche Criolla (on RCA)
    Fania All Stars: Crossover, Commitment & Latin Connection

There's many more ..... too many to write down, but start with these.

Easy,
    RR

P.S. I just got in from a session, but nothing to write home (or talkbass) about, those days are over! I did do Dave Valentin's new CD and I'll be doing next month a project w/ Brian Lynch & Eddie Palmieri, that should be cool.