Who's the nicest 'star' muso you've ever met?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Part of my job is interviewing some really incredible musicians - in the past I've interviewed Pat Metheny, Wooten, Scofield, Brecker, Patitucci, Trilok Gurtu, Zakir Hussain and loads of others - but one of my most recent ones was Al Jarreau. Al has a new album out soon (in July) called Acentuate The Positive - and it's his first jazz album to date - featuring some awesome playing from Christian McBride on acoustic and fretless bass - it's a really beautiful album - but I just wanted to put a word in for Al because he was without doubt one of the warmest and most open individuals I have ever met. He started singing stuff to me, the words to 'Waltz For Debbie', on the video (the interview will be streamed from my website soon) and was just so happy to be alive and sharing his music with the world. Anyway check out his album and see the interview here - www.ijazz.org - in a week or so.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Dave Holland seemed like a really nice guy, although I didn't really get a chance to talk to him - he stayed around after a gig at Brighton and chatted to people, signed CDs programmes etc.

I don't suppose UK Jazz musicians count as "star" musos, but I've found most of them to be really warm and approachable.

So, I have spent weeks on Jazz Summerschool with several different, great UK Jazz musicians and special mentions must go to Simon Purcell and Pete Churchill for being the most inspiring and having the most funny stories - but for all-round "nice guy" - I had a great week with Stan Sulzmann! Again he has a huge repertoire of funny stories and was quite hard on me in terms of playing - but gave me loads of tips - and there's nothing quite like somebody that big, putting his arm on your shoulder and telling you not to be so serious!! ;)
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Oteil & Victor.
  4. Victor is a dude of the highest order as well - he's unbelievably humble and unassuming - a real role model for us all.
  5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Another "Victor", he was exceptionally gracious and kind, although I was in a group of guys and tended to stay in the background myself (...well....Beaver Felton & Dave LaRue were there too...they're both pretty damn cool guys too!).

Non-bassist: Pat Metheny

Met him at EPCOT in Orlando, I was working (used to tint windows, in a former life), he walked by the window I was tinting, I dropped everything, ran out, and said "HEY!". He was with his girlfriend and their kid, and still took 5 minutes out of his VACATION to chat with some stranger that accosted him in public. Very polite and thoughtful.

Honorable Mention: Dennis Chambers

My ex-wife & I had backstage passes to a Santana show, we were in the hall outside the "meet & greet suite" talking. She was wearing a "boot" on her ankle because of an injury, and Dennis walked up and proceeded to ask if she was OK, and if there was anything he could help her with. She was actually fine, got around with no problem, but needed to have a bit of extra support, but he went out of his way to check on her.

Most of the really talented musicians I've met have been beautiful people as well - I firmly believe one thing feeds the other.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Hang on a minute... I do like Al Jarreau and I have always been into funky R&B (the original meaning that is!) - but isn't he a big favourite of "Jazz FM" :spit: and been taken up by the "Smooth" Jazz fans?

I am suprised - as I thought JazzWise and JazzFM were deadly enemies and ne'er the twain shall meet!! ;)

Don't say that Smooth Jazz is going to take over JazzWise as it has done Jazz FM !!??? :(
  7. dee rob

dee rob

Feb 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    I have to second the Dave LaRue mention. I met him at a SLM function and we talked about gear and bass playing for a good half hour. Extremely gracious and modest guy.

8. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I've mentioned this several times before, but Colin Hodgkinson (well-known British bassist) rang me at home a couple of years ago, and we spoke for over half an hour. He seemed a really nice man: I was impressed that he took the time to ring a stranger who'd been asking around about him.

Also, I got to meet Sonny Fortune (saxophonist: ex-Miles/Elvin Jones etc) in NYC in February 2003. I got to speak to him when he had finished a set - we spoke for a couple of minutes (there were others waiting to meet him) and he seemed to be quite friendly.
  9. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i haven't met many guys, but the nicest i've bumped into was johnny kelly, type o negative's drummer...i was chatting with billy kelly (R.I.P.), who was peter steele's bass tech, and he just kinda walks up behind me just standing there, like he didn't want to interrupt or something...billy said 'hey what's up?' and i turn around and he's like 'how's it going man?' i was pretty shocked, but we sat there and talked for a while and went across the street to have a couple beers and talked about cars for like an hour (he's a mopar guy...HATES ford and chevy)...really awesome guys...

it's funny you mention dennis chambers...i was watching him perform on tv and as they finished a set that concluded with some tasty percussion and they panned to one of the guys that were covering the telecast who was just off stage and the guys that were coming off stage were walking by in the background...well, the guy kept commenting on 'this drummer' this and 'that drummer' that and the guy playing drums and dennis chambers was standing right behind him look at him like he was an idiot...well, after the commercial break, everyone addressed 'that drummer' as 'Mr. Chambers.' :D it was great...somebody got their rear-end handed to them
  10. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I've been lucky enough to work with many great musicians, and I agree that the vast majority are beautiful people.

Two who stand out though: Larry Coryell and Paul McCandless. Both inspired me to keep playing, and try to be a better person myself. Plus, they're both really funny cats. I've never worked any Coryell shows, but I've probably spent a few hours talking to him before, during, or after shows. He sat down with my girlfriend and me while we were having dinner, solicited requests for tunes, and acted like he'd known us for years. He hung out for the whole break, and it was quite a long one. Another time, he pulled out a tune from Spaces I'd mentioned 10 hours earlier, after spotting me in the crowd and doing an obvious "oh, yeah" take. It was obviously unrehearsed, and he did it as the encore.

I got to hang with McCandless for two days once. Mixing that show was the best experience I've ever had behind the board. The show pales compared to the rest of the experience though.
  11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Some that come to mind quickly are Randy Bachman, Mark Browne, John Entwistle, David Bowie.

One that I was warned would be really difficult to get along with was Adrian Legg. I did sound for one of his concerts once. He turned out to be a pretty cool guy.
  12. The nicest guy in the bizz that have ever met was Paul Stanley from KISS. We opened up for him back in 89 when he did his solo club tour. He shook my hand and was really nice and friendly. I am a huge KISS fan and I was real nervous to meet him, but he was the coolest guy in the world! :hyper:

Dave Starr: Bassist with CHASTAIN & Vicious Rumors
  13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    :) A friend of mine opened for KISS at a gig in Texas, back in the 70s on one of their early tours. He and his band didn't know anything about KISS, but they got booked to open at a local theater. So they were hanging in their dressing room before their set wondering who this band was they were opening for, and suddenly in walks this guy dressed like a bat and wearing platform shoes that made him seem 7 feet tall.

It was Gene Simmons, of course. He gave the guys a pep talk and told them how much KISS appreciated having them open the show. When he left, the guys were thinking both "That was really nice of them" and "What the hell was that?" ;)
  14. Cool story Bob!
    Gene is the only KISS guy that I have not met. Peter was really nice, I met him at the 1990 NAMM show. I met ACE in 89, but he was drunk off his ass and a bit rude. Gene actually came to a show we were doing on our 1990 US Tour, but he got mobbed at the club and had to leave before I had a chance meet him. :crying:

Dave Starr: Bassist with CHASTAIN & Vicious Rumors
  15. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I once met Adrian at one of his shows, and not only is he cool, he's FUNNY. I laughed more talking with him than I normally do at a comedy show.

He is also a frightening player.
  16. Rod Harder

Rod Harder Supporting Member

Doug Wimbish and Bill Dickens are probably the 2 nicest Bassists I have ever met. I met Doug 2 years ago at NAMM when he was doing the SWR "After Dark" Party with Wil Calhoun and it turned into an impromptu Living Colour show. I ran into Doug and Vernon again at the 7-11 at 3am that morning and we BS'd for almost half an hour waiting in line to pay for our God-awful 7-11 food.
    ( With me forgetting I had a cab waiting outside with the meter running - damn beer )
    Anyhow, Doug and Vernon came by the booth I was working at the next day at the show and got myself and everyone of my pals comps for the Living Colour show the next night at the Galaxy in Anaheim.
    I have done a couple clinics with Bill Dickens over the last few years at the store I work at and he's an absolutely stellar human being, besides being unbelievably talented.
    George Lynch and Billy Sheehan also made a big impression on me when I have met them in the past, they ALWAYS have had time to hang and actually talk about things that have nothing to do with fame or "the business" - just hanging out and talking like you'd talk with your pals over a couple beers.........solid guys.
    I could fill a book with "not so nice" stories though.....but that's another thread entirely......
  17. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've met too many to name, but the one that stands out is me. I was so cool. I seemed genuinely interested in what I had to say, and I was gracious when I gave compliment after compliment. I traded emails with myself and I actually kept in touch. I'm the coolest bassist I've ever met. I'm definately a fan of me for life! I even gave myself tips! :cool: :bassist:
  18. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Jason Newsted has always been the nicest guy to me. Even ask Nino, the three of us chilled together for a bit at Ozzfest.
  19. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Not necessarily a nice guy, but Trent Reznor was nice enough to invite my old band to record at his studio for free. He even paid his engineer and programmer to work for us for three days! Trent's a cool, yet quiet guy - just as long as you don't ask him for an autograph, a picture, or try to get him to listen to your music.
  20. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Hey, a groupie story on Talkbass! :cool: