1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who's this bassist? (pic)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Blackbird, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I always talked a big game when praising Buddy Rich, but until today, I never had a recording by him. I had only seen him in videos.

So I got this CD today and to my amazement, the guy on the record cover is playing an electric! I thought he only did the straightahead doghouse bit. There's electric bass on this record.

Question is, who was the bassist? The guy on the pic is left handed, or the picture was printed backwards. Which is it?

Attached Files:

2. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    Look like the picture was printed backwards im pretty sure his cymbals wouldve been on teh other side. Im pretty sure it's flipped backwards

3. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    Judging by the positions of the ride, the snare, and the floor tom, while also looking at his grips, this picture has been reversed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Wild flipping guess-
    Joel Dibartolo?

...although I kinda recall Rich playing with some young college guys in an electricified Big Band, circa early '70s.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Anthony Jackson played with Buddy in the early 70s. That doesn't look like his arm, and I don't know if he recorded on any of his albums, but he did play electric with him.

6. My guess is that it may have been Tom Warrington. At least, that's who was playign with Buddy when I saw him years ago.

7. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I believe it may have been Anthony Jackson. He played with him on a live recording at Buddys Place which was owned by Buddy Rich. Looks like his arm.

8. TheMightyQuinn

TheMightyQuinn

Dec 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    That made me chuckle :D

9. Tony Levin played with him in the 70s, and I think he played a P-bass before switching to Music Mans.