Who's to blame for this debacle?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by telekaster, Dec 29, 2005.

1. telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
    OK, let's rewind about 15 weeks ago! I ordered a Dr. Bass cabinet. It was said to be completed in 4 weeks. I was told around week 12 that the cab would ship "earlier the next week". Around week 13 I was told it was in final production and would ship the next day. It didn't ship until a week after that!

What in the heck can happen after final production that can delay the shipment by a whole week??? I even told Marc at Dr. Bass that I needed the cab by the 30th of this month (preferrably by the 26th so that I can use it to rehearse). I didn't think that it was too much to ask since we're around week 14-15 at this time.

On Dec 22nd, the cab shipped with a scheduled deivery of the 29th! I can live with that as long as I can play it at my gig on the 30th. Today is the 29th and I stayed home from work to wait for the package because it requires a direct signature to be released. I have no time to spare, so I can't wait for a re-delivery. It's past 7:30 pm so I call FeDex and they tell me that it will be delivered tomorrow! I asked how late they deliver until and they said up to midnight! Geez!

I've already emailed Dr. Bass and kindly requested that they be honest about delivery times. Basically I feel that I've been lied to. If they would've just been honest than I could have arranged a rental cab. What more can I do?

I got a double whammy from Dr. Bass and FedEx. I suppose both companies are to blame. Who is worse, Dr. Bass or FedEx? Man, I guess I just needed to vent. I might have to rent a cab tomorrow (if I can find one). This whole thing sucks! This cabinet better rock my socks off!
  2. Sorry to hear about the hassle. I would "blame" the cab maker. I usually plan on Fedex being a day or two after the "estimated arrival".
    I personally hate it when someone tells me one thing and then puts me off. It just makes them look really bad. If they just told you about the delay, you probably would be much more easy going.
  3. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Well, because Dr. Bass took much longer than they quoted to ship your order, I'd fault them. Fedex might be at fault if they rescheduled the delivery, but you can hardly blame them, they aren't the ones that shipped your order late.

I had the same thing happen when I ordered a drumset from Midwestpercussion.com. I ordered it 2 weeks before I was to get married, knowing it was in stock and figuring that it would give me enough time to receive it before I went on my honeymoon. It shipped on time (supposively) but DHL lost it and after 2 weeks of run around and being told that it was lost, it would be canceled and a new kit would be sent to me, it wound up arriving while I was on my honeymoon. It sat in my driveway in plain site with "5-PIECE DRUM SET" in large letters on the box, for a day and a half.
  4. Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Weird. I've had nothing but good experience with DHL. When my phone died and the insurance company had to send me a replacement, DHL had it to me the next day (even though I contacted them after 5). When that replacement was faulty, and I called the insurance company around 3, DHL had the replacement the next day. When that replacement was faulty, the insurance company upgraded my phone and got that to me the next day, thanks to DHL (even though I called about 7pm).
  5. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    This is the second post on the second different forum today I've read regarding Dr. Bass being WAY LESS than honest about construction and delivery times.
  6. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    If Dr. Bass is 11 weeks late on their delivery time it is 100% their fault. I have never had a package delivered late by FedEx. Thanks for the heads up. I won't buy from Dr. Bass for sure. Honesty is most important. :scowl:
  7. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I kept getting different answers from both DHL and MWP, so I think they were both at fault in this situation.

I just don't trust them. Where I live they don't even show up with the large DHL trucks. All packages are delivered by an unmarked van that just has DHL in really small letters on one side generally.
  8. telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
    The cab eventually got here on the morning of the 30th. Luckily I was able to practice with it and take it out that same night. I feel a little bad for Marc now that I have received an email from him regarding the late delivery.

If you've read other Dr. Bass threads, you might know that Marc was hit by a drunk driver and was out of comission for some time. The Hurricanes also played a part in lost time in his shop. His mother also suffered a stroke and passed away around the time my cab should have shipped (the mid-December ship date). He's spent lots of time emailing customers and explaing the late deliveries which also takes time away from building cabs. All in all it looks as if Marc has had a bad 2005 which he would rather forget. He was apologetic and stated that the cab should have been delivered on time regardless. It should have never gotten to the point I would have to compain...

The good part of this is that I was able to use the cab when I really wanted to and it is nice and loud with my Eden WT550. Our drummer said it sounded "mean" and I like that. It is well-made and pretty lightweight. It's a little smaller than a typical 4x10, but I still had some headroom left without PA support (Kick drum and 2 Orange 30 watt amps were miced). On stage its volume is lower than it is out in the croud. This might be typical cabinet behavior though. I don't know as this is my first real bass rig (I played skinny strings for many years).