Who's up for a challenge?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Aleph, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Aleph

Oct 27, 2003
    Oakland, CA

I've been lurking around these forums for a couple months now and an idea has finally pulled me out from the shadows...

Remember the thread that asked who could play the unison line from Sir Duke? A number of cool people here shared their thoughts on the orginal recording, worked it out, recorded themselves and posted the results. I found the different interpretations fascinating.

Anyway, I was thinking about formalizing that idea into a TalkBass Challenge. Each week, a simple challenge is posted by the previous week's winner: Interpret this well-known song/line/solo/riff/figure/fugue/whatever and post your recording.

And on the seventh day, the moderator activated voting...

I suppose the length of the round can be determined by the challenger based on the subject at hand.

I don't imagine this to be a contest as much as an experiment in creativity, learning and sharing. Not, "I bet you can't play this," but rather, "How would you play this?"

The voting should be open to all and based completely on personal taste. It would kick ass if the pros participated too...

I don't think there'd be a problem with "term limits." If the people consistently vote for the same person, good for him/her -- they're obviously creating cool stuff.

I'm trying to get my reading skills up to speed, so I'd appreciate it if choices had standard notation available somewhere. I'm sure some others would like tab. Others still may want neither, choosing to play by ear or create widely divergent interpretations.

Play it solo, play it with loops or play it with your band. Play it with your grandmother on banjo. Any way you do it, just play it with a bass.

I don't think the Challenge has to be based on a bass-oriented piece. I'd even say it could be an original invention, but recognizable stuff would probably get more participation.

That's about all I have at this point. This hasn't been done already, has it? Is there an acceptable place to put all these mp3s or are people on their own for hosting? ASCAP ain't gonna hunt us down, are they?

Who wants to give this a shot?
  2. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Spare time! I need more! I'd play this game if I had some.

It sounds like it would be fun and we'd hopefully improve out playing / recording techniques in the process. Watch everyone at TB go out and buy an Avalon

3. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    How about a game of Bassasized telephone? Like someone starts it with a riff, and the next person posts their interpretration and what they added.

"sally has smelly feet"-"rally cars love to speed"-"frank loves eatings meat"
  4. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    you're just afraid that you'll lose.

loser. :D
  5. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I KNOW I'm gonna lose... Just as long as I don't come last :)

Hey I once won a radio competition to play the Sienfeld theme down the telephone line. I won tickets to a concert and everyting :)
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I like the idea... as a listener, I doubt I'd participate. I'm terrible at figuring anything out. Luckily, I got Tommy the Cat so I don't play it in 9/8 anymore. :meh:
  7. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    Who is going to start it?