Who's up for a post-Olympic DC area GTG?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Philbiker, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Who's up for a post-Olympic DC area GTG at my house? What would be a good weekend? Got to be after the olympics!

UPDATE: Sunday March 12 Is the day!

Everyone who is going to attend, either email me or PM me and I'll make a list and send out directions to everyone!

Here's how it's going to go down. We'll get together starting at about 12 noon and hang out into the evening, say about 8PM or so or whenever everybody's ears get tired.

We'll start for the first few hours with a gearfest, everybody bring whatever you have or want to share. Got a bass that somebody's asked about? Bring it! Rig? Bring it! We'll set up rigs all over the basement and basses galore (bring stands and try to remember to take them home with you!). Whatever you bring, assume that it will go through the hands of many people, so if you've got a precious instrument or amp that you treasure it may be better to keep it at home. (My '65 bassman which has been featured at all my previous GTGs will probably not make an appearance)

I'll have almost all my gear out including the same stuff everyone's seen already. Nothing exotic, that's not my thing.
    * Peavey Palaedium
    * Peavey USA Millenium Standard
    * Fender USA Jazz Bass V 1997
    * Brice V2 6 string fretless
    * Tacoma Thunderchief
    * Splatter colored franken-PJ fretless
    * Eden D210T white label - The ORIGINAL 210 cabinet that changed bass amplification history.
    * Peavey Max 160 amp.

If anybody's in the market for a practice amp I can pull out my Trace Elliot Boxer 30 to sample. You can look for one used but I will never sell, it's one of the the best little practice amps I've ever heard.

About 4-5PM we'll order some pizza and kick back on the sofas and watch some DVDs (or LaserDiscs if you have them). I'm sure there will be lots of overlap, people hanging around the pool tabe and bar talking gear while the DVDs are playing. I was thinking we'd throw on one to three songs from a DVD then go on to the next one, sampling some of the best stuff we see. Not just bass solos, but also songs that show great song playing should be sampled.

This is what I've got in mind:
    * Ox-cam from "The Kids Are Alright"
    * "Money" from Pink Floyd's (extremely rare) "Delicate Sound Of Thunder" LaserDisc. - Great groove and great solo by Guy Pratt.
    * Vrooom/Coda: Marine 475 from King Crimson
    * something from Steely Dan's Two Against Nature DVD
    * something from "Standing In The Shadows Of Motown"
    * at least one surprise

We'll kick back and relax. I'll provide food and drink this time including sodas, beer, chips, pretzels, popcorn, we'll raise a fund on the spot for the pizza. Just bring yourself and be willing to share is all I ask! If you want to bring something particular (for some reason summer sausage seems to be very popular at this event - who knew?), email or PM me and I'll adjust my shopping list accordingly.
  2. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I'm in! First weekend in March is best for me, but that's just me.
  3. jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    The sooner the better!
  4. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i'm in! ...but alas it always works out that which ever day of the weekend gets chosen...thats the day i cant attend.
  5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    DC's not too far from NYC. So
    unds like it may be fun. :)
  6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I'm completely booked for Feb, but March is mostly open. Subscribed!
  7. Dang yo, we get to meet Nino? This ought to be good.

I'm down but I don't have any new toys to bring. 'Less you guys want to see my Reverend guitar.
  8. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I'm down as always.
  9. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    It might be cool to bring a few guitars.:bag:
    Is that bad?
  10. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    There has always been two guitars in the house for every GTG.:ninja:

How does Saturday Marth 11 or Sunday March 12 sound? These are the best for me!

I have two guest rooms, and my wife will be out of town that weekend, so if anyone coming a distance wants to stay over, I can host you. Or I can recommend local hotels.

I was thinking of having a session where we watch some of our favorite performances on DVD, but what I'm thinking of now, is starting with about 3-4 hours or more of regular GTG, maybe ordering some Pizzas together for dinner, then dimming the lights and then watching some DVD material of some of our favorite bass players late into the night on my little movie system. My wife will be out of town so we can majorly jam the amps and DVDs (as if that stopped us before).

Manufacturers and company reps are more than welcome to bring some goodies if they want, it will be a house full of bassists with GAS. We usually get 15-25 people at these things.

P.S. Am I crazy for inviting my internet friends to come and stay over? I don't think so..... :)

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

ShotGun ! :hyper:
  12. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    WOW. both of those dates are actually open for me...i might actually get to attend a GTG! :)
  13. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    March 12 is better for me than March 11, FWIW.
  14. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Sundays are almost always better for everyone since most of the working musicians have gigs on Saturdays. Should we say Sunday March 12?
  15. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Sundays are cool for me.
  16. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Football season is over :( so Sundays work for me. I have to open shop on Saturday, and have a gig at church on Saturday nights so it'll have to be Sunday for me.

I'll be there, and I'll bring some goodies too.
  17. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Sunday March 12 it is. My house. Approx. 1PM. We'll flesh out the details on goodies later. We don't need much, a few munchies, some beer, and some soda and we should be good to go.
  18. Arghh... one week later and I'd be all over this. /notinDCthissemester
  19. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Got some time. Got some DVD's. Got some basses.

20. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    (Gard looks at calendar, thinks a bit....)

Let me check with my SO, see if she'd like to take a road trip (and if we can work out the kids sitch).....or if she's cool with me takin' a "batchelor weekend"...

...if all's well with that, either way, I'm there, and will definitely bring along my new baby (the one that allowed me to let go of my Zon to Aaron/Dr. Phunky), and maybe a few other fun toys!