Who's using a P+J bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Jan 30, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey all,

i'd just like to know what you guys think of them. would you rather just have both a P or J bass or is the best of both worlds? what do you think of the slap sounds? how do both pickups sound when used together??

2. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I LOVE P-J's and I don't mean pajamas! I like them better than P's or J's. The slap sound is FINE although I am admittedly no slapper. Mine sounds great (best actually) with both pickups on and I'm always surprised when people say that these basses do weird things when set that way. Mine is a Fender Jazz Bass Special, which is a P body, Jazz neck, no pickguard, Japan, mid 80's. Unlike almost all others it has a 3-way pickup selector and the P pickup volume control works as a master volume when both pickups are selected. Cool bass, but I now have my eye on an American Deluxe P and this one may have to move on.
  3. If you go to Fender's web page they have a sound clip of a Hot Rodded P-bass being slapped. I think it sounds really good.

The Hot Rodded P-bass is just a P with a J pickup added.
  4. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I'd prefer the J/J or J/MM setup to the P/J. I do own one P/J and I think that I always will keep at least one around.
  5. I modded my Peavey to a PJ setup (Dimarzio pickups). I pretty much leave both pickups on all the time.. but I'll solo the P if I need a really round tone or the J if I need a really midrangey cutting tone. I think the PJ set sounds great for slapping and even better for flat out rock.

Sometimes I wish I had a JJ setup but I still really like the PJ.
  6. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    My Warwick Streamer Stage I is a P/J. I love it.
  7. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

I have a Sadowsky PJ-5 and it sounds killer.. I set the blend control alittle more towards the bridge pickup, about 60-40... As far as slap goes it sounds pretty good... Steven...
  8. Has anybody tried the Fender Stu Hamm Urge Bass? It has a two J pups and one P. Are there any other basses configured like this? What does it sound like?
  9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've got a Lull P5 with the J pickup option. It's a fabulous bass. I usually use the P pup soloed (cuz I'm a P-bass guy at heart), but for my occasional slapping I dime both pups.

The PJ tone is reasonably close to JJ tone. You'll never fool a Jazz player, but I know some players who prefer PJ to JJ.
  10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

What the heck, here's a pic. Note that it's really deep blue, not purple.

11. I might want a Sadowsky P-J but I would really like to know what the difference is between a normal P pick-up setting and the reversed setting. Who has any experience with that?

Best regards, Werner.
  12. I have a Sadowsky 4 string jazz and ordered a Sadowsky PJ4. Both are to die for; both are different...of course. I love the slap tone of the PJ with the pickup blend in the middle. It's so FUNKY!!!

I asked Roger about the PJ and reverse PJ. He said most people prefer the PJ but those with reverse PJ were happy too. I went with the regular PJ. I did not play a reverse PJ.

I'm pretty psyched to have both a Sadowsky J and PJ. Woo-hoo!