Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who's using all tube bass amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Aug 14, 2002.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I'm wondering what all tube amps people are using? I'd preferto hear about all in one heads like the mesa 400+ not racks with separate tube pre and power amp?
    What music are you using this amp for?
    Is it your only amp?
    What cab are you using?
    Do you use it in a small rig?

Thanx for the help everyone

2. '76 Ampeg SVT. My avatar is the inside of it! I'm using the SVT 410HLF cab with it. I play mostly rock music. The amp's pretty aggressive sounding, tight and focused. it doesn't have that mid-scooped hifi sound at all. It goes real loud and sounds great doing it. In fact, I have yet to come across a solid state head that could keep up with it in terms of overall volume. There's no small rig with it, though, because it weighs about 90 lbs! All tube amps are pretty heavy by virtue of the extra transformer they have compared to SS amps. Maintenance is not as bad as people think. Power tubes need to be periodically replaced, but nowhere near as often as people believe. For example, I recently replaced the original tubes in mine. Not because they were gone, I just felt like retubing. As long as you take care of them (ie biasing) tube amps are just as reliable as Solid State amps.

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    You probably won't get too many responses...I think they're all in the hospital with back pain. RIM SHOT, PLEASE!!! :D

OK....back to the thread.

4. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    1) Club rig for R&B-Blues:
    Mesa-Boogie Buster 2x10 Wedge sitting on top of Mesa Diesel 1 x15 cabinet. 200 watts of (6) 6LGC6
    power, LOUD, powerful, clear-tons of headroom-
    I mitigate the somewhat harsh Mesa mids w/ a
    Yamaha Nathan East preamp-Nice touch.

2) Studio rig-Does it all! Ampeg V4BH w/ SVT48HE
    cab, (4x8's). This has tone to the bone!

Weight-wise,The Ampeg isn't too bad; 40 lbs for the head, the cab is nicely portable, wheels right on in (or up!)
    Now the Mesa Buster- that is one heavy little rig-
    even with it's built-in transport system, like rollaboard luggage, this thing has serious mass-
    That is the price you have to pay for receiving sound via tubes & transformers! Worth it? I think so- I've used a lot of high-end mosfet & hybrid heads- they cannot sound as round & full & deep as tubes.:cool:

5. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet?

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    I used to, but unfortunately I was young and sold my Fender Bassman 20. It was perfect for practice and from what I remember, had great tone. If it wasn't for loud guitar players, and lack of a P.A., I could have kept it...:(

Should have never sold it...

Now it's just 12AX7 pre, solid state output.

6. i wish i had one of those vintage pure-tube Ampeg SVT's from the 70's...

7. HannibalSpector

HannibalSpector

Mar 27, 2002
    Australia
    Hiwatt dr103 - 100w
    2x 2x12" or single 2x12" boxes
    or marshall 4x12(the 2x12s sound better).

Used this amp for most of my gigging and practice, the guitarist only used a mesa 60 , it was loud enough.
    Sometimes used it with an ampeg 8x10.
    Played rock mostly.

8. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Trace Elliot V4 220w via 4 KT88's very nice and very heavy.

I use a Hartke TP4X10 and need a smaller cab.

9. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    The drummer I played with over the summer lives with a guy that has a seventies SVT and an Ampeg 4x10. I think it's the HLF; it's the one with the three round ports on the bottom. Great aggressive rock tone just like spacegoat said. And volume to spare. The guy also has an old V4B that I've heard him play through that is a great amp.

10. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Peavey Classic 400 tube head 8 x 6550WE Sovtek power tubes.

Peavey 410TX (2) Cabinets. Total 4 ohm load. Amp outputs 443 watts RMS.

You can see a picture of it over on pg 2 or 3 of the Best Tube Amp Poll thread.

Cheers,

JC

11. early 70's SVT with a new SWR 2x12 and either an ampeg 410 or a 15.

Ampeg V4B for studio

Traynor Custom Special YBA-3 all tube bass head for wherever I don't have one of the ampegs.

'73 Fender P bass by the way.
    Big Muff PI on occasion in keeping with the vintage theme.

All of my gear is about the same age as, or a little older than I am.

12. jbasser206

jbasser206

Jul 31, 2002
    Western NY
    1968 Fender Bassman/ 100 watts with 2-12 bottom. Plenty of power for mid-small clubs, but I am thinking of retiring it for a new SWR Workingmans 4000 Stack or the Carvin 600w Redline Stack:rolleyes:

13. I play Three:

Traynor YBA-1 Bassmaster. wit An EV Proline 15B in a Ev Cab I built. I love it for the resturant Gigs It can be clean and soft or hard rockin.

Ampeg B25 I just fixed up. It could use new tubes but plasyed it at practice for the first time and was very happy with the sound.

Sunn 300T this one dose it all. The 6 6550's give it serious volume and the preanp is very flexible and best of all foot switchable. Iplay it through an old acoustic 215 loaded with JBL e140 drivers. I somtime use the Ev 15B with a matching 12" Cab loaded with JBL e120.

I love my tube they are so much more musical than SS and never had troubles with them witch can't be said for the SS amp that I've blown.

Peace
    Benton

14. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Kern IP-777 + Aguilar DB728 + SWR Megaliath

Mesa Boogie Bassbuster 2x10 combo.

15. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    69 Sunn 2000S 4-6550s. 2-10 and 1-15. I sold my 360 after getting this amp. I set this amp up for an annual outside Jam Session each year, so I get to hear lots of other bassists through it. SWEET amp. :D

16. Ampeg B25B stack
    [​IMG]

Ampeg V4B with 4x12
    [​IMG]

Armadillo custom 2x15 combo with Bassman 50 amp
    [​IMG]

All heavy as lead, all sound great.

Chris

17. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    Sunn 300T. Like Benton said, this one does it all. I'd feel comfortable in any situation with this amp. It's not as pristine clean as, say a demeter with a QSC amp, but there's something really compelling about the sound. I dig it, anyway. :cool:

18. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Mesa D-180 head ( :mad: Is that a guitarist lurkin' in the bushes?!?)
    Ampeg B15-R combo
    Pignose B100VH head

Music? Whatever I makes up :)

The cab situation kinda' stinks right now (SWR 2x10T and Big Ben).
    I'm lookin' to get some Accugrooves, uhhh...soon as I win the lottery :D.