Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who's using his stereo power amp in bridged mode?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Norre, Jul 4, 2001.

1. Norre

Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I noticed that a lot of people here at the TB forum use a stereo power amp/pre-amp combination. I was wondering who's using his stereo power amp in bridged mode? Why?
    Thanks,

KN

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I bridge my Mackie 1400i into my Goliath Sr. 6x10. If you look at the power handling capacity of the cab, which is 1000 watts, this looks pretty reasonable in terms of headroom. However, I never even come close to cranking it up nowadays. One channel alone would work easily. In fact, this very thing has me thinking about sticking the Mackie into my PA rack and buying a smaller amp to use with my Alembic pre.

3. Eden WT-800 bridged mono... 800w @ 8 ohms... going into an 8 ohm d 4x10 xlt cab. works fine for me.

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Looking back, I guess I didn't address the "why" part of the original question. It's all a matter of headroom, as I alluded to. Why would I want to use only one channel of the amp, which would give me 700 watts into my 4 ohm cab, when I can bridge it and get 1400 watts and much more headroom for transients, lows, etc.? At the volumes I regularly play, I have virtually no possibility of clipping my amp...and as many of us know, clipping is far more dangerous to a cab than clean excessive volume.

Plus, I can't get that old "use it or lose it" thing outta my head.... ;)

5. Bridge mode effectively cuts the impedance load in half for each channel. An 8-ohm cabinet is seen by the bridged amp as 4 ohms on each channel. No problem. However, if you are running a 4 ohm cab in B/M, this presents 2 ohms to each channel. The manufacturer will have minimum impedance recommendations here. Personally, I don't want to run my amp channels at 2 ohms, as this is the ragged edge minimum and causes the amp to work the hardest.

Voltage swing in B/M is much higher, and well into the lethal levels. If you are exposed to bare speaker wires, you can kill yourself in B/M.

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Mercy, mama! Now there's a compelling reason not to bridge: you may DIE!!!!!!

7. Mackie 1400i bridged into a Peavey 412 TVX. It is a great setup.

Why? what mchildree said.

John

8. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    2 Crown Powerbase2's running 1 peavey 118/1000w JBL speakers. 1 Powerbase3 for 2 Eden 410's.

Mike

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    QSC PLX 1602, in bridged mono into an 8-ohm EV 1150 cabinet.

10. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I use an Eden WT-500 bridged for 500 watts into 8 0hm.My cab is an Eden 410XTL (8ohm 700 watts cap) Why? First I think that stereo bass is a useless concept. It does, however, give you a number of cabinet combination possibilities (but the stereo part is pointless).Secondly, I like to carry one cabinet only and my choice is a 410. 500 watts powers this cab very nicely.

11. Carvin R1000 bridged mono into an 8ohm Carvin 4x10.

Why ? As said before it all comes down to headroom.