Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who's using two Avatar B210s together?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tallboybass, Jan 5, 2004.

1. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I'm thinking of getting another B210 to add to the one I have, hoping to get the sound of a good 410 cab. The B210 goes a hair lower than the B410 according to specs, so would it sound better? Would you stack one of them upside down to couple the ports, or would that matter?

Thanks, Alan

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Personally, I'd stack them vertically on end and make a column. I've read that Acme's really come alive when stacked in a vertical array.

When I first got my B210 a couple weeks ago, I was impressed with its tone when I stood it on end on the floor...I imagine that two would be more than twice as good.

If you have to stack them horizontally, try them every way possible and listen to how they sound to you.

3. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Thanks Billy, that's a good idea. Especially since I'm 6'8".

Anybody using 2-B210s? Whazzit sound like?

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Zeromus-X over at Harmony Central is doing that.

5. Zeromus-X

Zeromus-X

Jan 6, 2004
    Hey, The Ox just sent me over here --

I use two Avatar 210 cabs in my rig. I originally was using an Ampeg PR410HLF, but I got a new car a few months later, and the PR didn't stand a chance at all of fitting in there. That cabinet is virtually as big as the interior of the entire car is!

As a result I went with the pair of 210 cabs for mobility reasons. I've always liked having several smaller cabs; makes the trips a bit more manageable when you're moving across ground that wheels don't dare to cross.

Anyway, I stack mine horizontally. I tried stacking them vertically, and although I had the speakers closer to my ears, there wasn't as much perceived bass IMO. It looks pretty goofy, too, and it's hard to balance a rack on top of a thin speaker column. All of these things added up to me deciding to stick with the horizontal layout.

It's not hard to try it out and see what sounds best; they don't weigh that much. You might like the sound better right in your ear; I didn't.

Incidentally, now I don't have to do either, because I just scored a nice little addition to the rig... two 18" scoops for $20... for the pair!! :eek:

[​IMG]

6. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    How the F@*# do you get the folded horns in your car?:D

7. Zeromus-X

Zeromus-X

Jan 6, 2004
    LOL... just picked those up three days ago. For $20 you can't beat it! The guy I bought them from didn't even know there were speakers in there. He thought they were like add-on cabinets or something.

They don't fit in the car. :) I've got an MX-6... I can fit the two Avatars with a 6U rack in the back seat (very barely, all standing on their sides), the 4U rack in the trunk, and the bass case behind the seats. It's quite uncomfortable, as your head's in the steering wheel/windshield the entire trip... I'm fairly certain if the airbags were to go off they'd do much damage!!

8. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Zeromus, congrats on the steal!

When you use both 210s together, does it just sound like one cab only louder, or do the two combine to make a much bigger sound (bassier)?

9. Zeromus-X

Zeromus-X

Jan 6, 2004
    The sound is a lot more full, for lack of a better way to put it. If I split the two 2x10 cabs across the stage, it definately doesn't sound as good or have as much bass regardless of where I'm standing.

I'd say the whole is much greater than the sum of the parts, though!

10. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    I use the 2 avatar 210's setup. I've been gigging and rehearsing using this setup for about 9 months. I stack them on top of each other. Having 2 210's vs 1 410 makes it a lot easier to transport around. Also, sometimes I just take one 210 if that is what the situation calls for.

11. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Thanks Zeromus, that's what I wanted to know. I've got a 212 & 210 and would like to be able to have a 410 sound also. Hello Dave?????......