1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who's using "what" insurance for their gear?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sricabla, Apr 18, 2006.

1. sricabla

sricabla

Jul 4, 2003
    San Francisco
    I'm shopping around for insurance for my basses and my home recording gear. I just wanted to take a survey on what companies you are using.

Thanks in advance.

2. All of my stuff is covered under my standard USAA renter's policy. $13/year for $10,000 coverage. Obviously, this coverage does not apply once it leaves the house. :(

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    USAA? Cool, I live down the street from USAA.... ;) :)

4. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    $13 (???!!!) is something you will ONLY get from USAA

Most companies now have a filed minimum premium of $100, or $250.

I have a "Fine Arts" floater for my collectors vintage stuff now, through Chubb.

5. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    A Doberman, 9 guns and a Black Belt.:smug:

Seriously, It's coverd under my insurance on my house.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

And if you leave your gear unattended for a few minutes (say outside a gig venue) and return to find it gone - none of this will do you any good whatsoever....:meh:

7. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    That was true but a joke, My homeowners Insurance will cover it. I'm not sure about renters insurance outside the home though.
    I have good coverage.

8. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Jokes are something Bruce eats for breakfast.

9. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    FYI, the guns are in a very expensive Browing Safe. I'm not a keep a loaded gun handy type, though I do have a concealed carry permit. When your sleepy, crooks have as good a chance to get them as you. That's what the Black Belt is for.

Now back to the real topic.

10. Keep in mind that $10k is not a whole lot of coverage. In terms of dollar value, if this place burns down or I get seriously robbed, I'm out a lot more than that. My CD collection alone eats up half of that value, and if you add my books, computer, and of course my bass stuff to the mix, you're definitely way over the amount of insurance I'm carrying.

But yeah, USAA is nice. I appreciate my dad's four post-law school years in the Army a whole lot. The credit limit on my USAA Mastercard (which I pay off every month) is 2.5x my monthly income, and the interest is barely over 10%!

11. TwoThumbs

TwoThumbs

Mar 27, 2005
    Staunton,VA USA
    Check with your insurance agent as to whether or not your homeowners policy will cover your gear. Mine told me that if I made any money using the equipment it was NOT covered. I obtained insurance through Seabury and Smith by way of the musician's union.Premiums are relatively inexpensive and according to the policy ...covers everything but mysterious dissappearance.

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Having had a very expensive cab stolen from my car ...I don't really see this as a laughing matter...:meh:

Lost my car insurance no-claims bonus as well!! :scowl:

13. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    thankyou for proving my point.