Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

who's victor wooten

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by fart gas, Jun 16, 2001.

1. fart gas

fart gas Not Registered

I've heard of him before but I never heard any of his material. The reason why I have a sudden interest in knowing who he is because today I was popping and slapping on a bass at guitar center, and some guy said it sounded like what wooten plays.So I guess hes pretty good.He He He. But really does anyone know some good songs hes in.

Thanks,
    FART GAS!!!!!!

2. 6-stringjazz

6-stringjazz

Jun 1, 2001
    Abq NM
    If it's slappin' you want Victa's the man! Check out "Me and my Bass Guitar", "Classical Thump", "Hip Bop", or try some Bela' Fleck stuff for sweet Victor wooten lines.

3. Thirdstar

Thirdstar

Jun 7, 2001
    Houston Tx.
    The problem with victor's stuff is that, while it's astounding and incredibly cool at first, after a while it really all sounds the same: just light speed slap and the open-hammer-pluck stuff. It reminds me too much of stu hamm's cheesier stuff. But thats just my humble opinion.
    Really the only album with Victor on it that i've bought so far and been truly impressed with (i own most of them) is A Show Of Hands. VERY GOOD.

4. A SHOW OF HANDS is a great cd.Victor Wooten is an incredible bass player check him out either solo or with Bela Fleck &the Flecktones.

5. I saw him live a week ago and this guy has to be one of the best players on the planet.

My goodness, he is SO much more than his double thumb, finger, slap fame.

He knows his instrument and the vocubulary of music.

He's not a bass god........he's a MUSICIAN.

6. Well Fart, he's pretty good (he, he, he).

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  8. I used to really like Vic when I started playing bass, he is a great person and an incredible entertainer!! I like Vics fretless stuff (3 Flew) more than his slap stuff myself. His slap stuff I feel is a little dated and lacks substance and melody. If wanna you hear Vic play Jaco, check out the song 'Big Country' on the Flecktones 'Left of Cool' cd. He is playing "Continuum" by Jaco, although he did forget to credit him for that.

9. Patalak

Patalak Guest

Jun 17, 2001
    USA Tampa Florida
    I don't have any VW cds, nor have I heard anyone else's VW cds. But I did do 3 or 4 shows opposite Bela Fleck and the Fleck(s)tones, while I was touring with Acoustic Alchemy.
    The thing that was musically impressive about him was that he started playing stuff from our show, (that I don't think he'd heard before) in the middle of his solos. Obviously had incredibly quick ears.
    He was obviously very impressive technically, but much more impressive musically.

10. And Fart, if you play like him, you must be pretty darn good yourself.

11. Fart-guy,

see my post of yesterday, 6/19, in Bassists. I updated it today.

If at all possible, go see him play. He and the Flecktones will floor you with their skill and musicality.

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Or the person who made the comment could have been a master of "sarcasm"! As in, when you are stopped by the police when driving over the limit : so we think we're Michael Schumacher (Formula One World Champion driver or insert latest world champion driver ) do we?

This sounds like the sort of thing I might say when trying a bass in a shop full of kids slapping hell out of basses - "Wow that really sounds like Victor Wooten!" :rolleyes:

13. fart gas

fart gas Not Registered

I don't think it was sarcasm because he asked me to play it again, and was staring at the bass while i was playing. I just dont think he knew how to pop and slap. Anyways I listened to "me and my bass guitar" and hes one fast popper. Almost as fast as me. HE HE HE.

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Or maybe he was just dumbfounded that anybody still does this anymore!

If I saw anybody in a music store doing this I would just tell them to shut up - maybe he was too polite?:rolleyes:

15. I like Vic, but I dont think he is any better than anyone else who has been playing bass for 30 years. There really isnt much to what he does musically, although he does have great timing and a great attitude about life and music.

16. Have you seen him live? Many who haven't just think of him just as a slapper. My goodness, this man knows music and his instrument as well as any electric bass player I've seen, with the exception of maybe Patitucci.

17. T Jay,
    I have seen Vic live many times (about 12 times); Flecktones, Bass Extremes and solo, I even jammed with him. Plus, I own everything he has every recorded. Like I said in the earlier post I really dig his fretless stuff alot more than the slap stuff.

18. Zon,

It sounds like you have a healthy knowledge of his playing, and put your playing in his league. What do you mean by "there really isn't much to what he does musically"?

I'm sure there are many of us who have played for 30 years, and can't play near what he does.

He is a VERY special player, and maybe you are as well, but you sound like you don't respect his playing, aside from slapping. Is that right?

19. Sorry, you mentioned you like his fretless stuff best.

20. You are such a nice guy, Bruce. :D

I will admit he's got some skill, but I really can't stand to listen to some of his songs.