1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who's with me here?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lowner, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Lowner

Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    I am a firm believer that you dont have to have high end amps, and basses to get great tone. I have several basses that are by no means high end. Each of my Basses cost me no more than 500 bucks, a Fender Rumble 100 watt amp and an overdrive peadl and wah pedal. i dont think as a bass player you need a lot of effects. Anyway i love my tone. And I have been complimented on it , too. So anyone else share my philosophy?

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I firmly believe that people should buy and play whatever bass they like not matter if its cheap or expensive.

3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I do.

4. +1

5. It's just easier with better gear :)

6. black lake

black lake Guest

Apr 3, 2006
    Ontario, Canada
    I played a lot of basses when I was decided on my first bass recently. When push came to shove, a 5 string OLP won out related to feel, sound and price. Does that mean I won't covet a MM or G&L bass? Of course I will because equipment in the upper range have that extra degree of fit and finish (and exclusivity) that lead to feelings of pride of ownership. Other than that pride, it all comes down to talent: talented players can make the cheapest instrument sound good. Mind you, it just takes a bit more effort to do so. Play what you love, love what you play.

7. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    49% of more expensive gear is about tone, and 51% is about "perceived tone" and feel, as you stand there with high quality, made in europe/american products that look good and make you feel like you can play better.

this in turn, which many people are quick to underrate, is a massive influence on a player, when playing a certain instrument brings the more joy and enhanced "perceived tone" due to their interest in the gear along with the playing.

this is just a phenomena i've noted from talkbass members over the last few months.

therefore, if you feel good playing a stock fender through a crate amp, by all means, go for it. and if you got the cash and want to buy that Glockenklang stack and 4 ritters, i hope your spouse loves you dearly :). but still, whatever makes you feel like you are playing your best and getting the greatest perceived tone.

8. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Oh man....I am the king of low rent gear! Lakland 55-01, Avatar cabs, sansamp, mxr-m8-. I've been really thinking of selling everything and begin getting high end stuff...then I heard our latest recording with all of my relativley low dollar stuff dialed in a lil bit better...and those feelings of GAS have diminished quite a bit.

It's like when I used to ride motorcycles, (cafe racers). I didn't have the fastest, quickest, lightest, (especially when I weigh WELL over 200 lbs)...yet when it came to overall riding capability...I used to smoke much more aggresive bikes. My buds always wondered how I did it...I told 'em they could do it to...it can be all a matter of feel, soul, and oneness with your tools of trade.

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I agree 100%!

10. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i'm pretty sure my avatar is the best cab i have ever played through.

from what i've seen, many cabs sound the same, and half of em use eminence drivers anyway. i look more for the functionality. and new innovative feaures/lighter weight.

thats where its at.

11. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Did I really write that? That came out of my head?

12. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Did I jus quote myself???

13. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    If I could afford high end gear, I would buy it. But I can't.

However, I am very happy with my MIJ '75 Reissue Jazz that I've modded when played through my Avatar B410Neo. I think those two together are the best purchases I've ever made when it comes to bass equipment, and I spent less than $1000 on the two of them combined.

14. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

I will go to an inflation calculator and remind myselfthat $350(new P Bass with case) in '71 is around $1650 now. $500 IN 2005 (a MIM P?) was about $100 in '71.
    I firmly believe that the $500 bass now is way better than the $100 then.

I have never heard an audiance member (other than a musiscian) say what a great bass someone has or what agreat deal they got on it.

I guess I fall into the play what you love, love what you play category.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

15. i say to each his own...not everybody wants to sound like a mim pbass, and not everyone needs to sound like jaco or vic. some can get away with not effects, some need 490 effects per song. some people need a big 810 and some just go direct to the board. some want 2 strings some want 16. everyone is different :)
    anyways, i am glad, because if every bass player had the same bass with the same amp/cab and effects, we'd all sound very similar.

16. +1