Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by XavierG, May 20, 2002.

1. If someone were to ask you to name one bassist whose style yours most closely 'mimicked' (in terms of playing style and type of music), who would it be? I'll get the ball rolling with my man.....

Flim Johnson

(Remember, only one name please.)
  2. I'd say Tommy Shannon, but it's me that mimicks him, and rather poorly I might add.
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I think you have the mimic thing backwards, X, though I've heard Marcus mimics me;)

If Anthony Jackson slapped, that would be my choice.

:eek: :D
  4. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Tough question. I'd have to say Verdine White or Nathan East.

5. :eek: Woops! Fixed the question.
  6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I know, I know... everyone wants to be you :D
  7. Actually, I intended 'mimic' to mean 'resemble', not 'copy'.
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Probably Tommy Shannon, but I WISH I mimicked Nathan East. Nathan rules, RULES!

By the way, I would have thought I was the only one who ever heard of Flim and the BB's. I think I have 3 albums of theirs. Haven't listened to 'em in a while, though. Good stuff.
  9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I think Doug Wimbish. I'm not even close, but I wish....
  10. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    One name, you say...

Some kind of mix between Geddy & Jaco. Jaco probably being the bigger influence. No, wait, Geddy is. No, Jaco is. No, er...

11. That comes as a surprise to me. I would have half-expected a jazz bassist from you. Nothing is as it appears to be. ;)
  12. JPJ, first bassist I *listened* to. I may stray to more modern music, but I go back to Zeppelin everytime.
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Geddy Lee. I have other influences, but if you listen to lines in a lot of our originals, you will hear that one the most. Too bad I can't play as well as he can.
  14. i can only can say who i aspire to be most like but that's a couple of names. but the vocalist in my old band was describing me to the drummer and and he said i was almost like flea. then i got mad at him for exadderating. he said it was a small exadderation. maybe a very laid back flea, at most. but i think a poor robert deleo fits me best right now.
  15. There are so many influences that I have it becomes hard to narrow it down to ONE!

I'm going to have to say Billy Gould from Faith No More. He is the man who inspired me to lust after Zon basses, of which I now own two. He is also very under-rated.
    A close second would be David Wm. Simms from The Jesus Lizard or David J. from Bauhaus.

16. I love listening to Jaco and AJ, but my role model for live playing is Emory Gordy Jnr.
  17. Tough question.

If you could toss Geezer Butler, JPJ, and Leon Wilkeson in a blender, you would have the bassist I aspire to be.
  18. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    #2 of Anti-Flag
  19. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Victor Sheehan or Billy Wooten :oops: