Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who's Your Dealer?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jim Wheeler, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Thunderfunk is developing a distribution network. We are not looking to be in every store, perhaps one in every city - and a place where knowledgeable folks are willing to help You-the-Bass-Player fill real needs and unspoken desires.

Simply Stated: We need people to hear the TFB420, 'cause hearing is what really sells them.

What dealers would you suggest? Who do you go to for advise, for "customer service", for help picking out the gear best suited to your needs?

Thanks in advance for your help

Jim

2. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    Is this a new government measure to catch drug dealers??

3. ... how about Musical Equipment Supplier.

4. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I come here. :smug:

There aren't really any stores in my area (southeastern Wisconsin) that I would trust for advice or customer service...All we have are Interstate Music and White House of Music, and neither have a very large selection of bass gear.

5. I do most of my business with Eclipse Concert Systems / Eclipse Music in W. St. Paul, MN. They handle Fender, Peavey and Ibanez. They are fair, honest and treasure their customers and they know gear inside out!!

6. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    Those people at the place with the stuff in the town with the cars and buildings and places to eat and sleep and things to do and not to do if you don't want to get arrested or something. It also has 4 music stores. The town is Lake Charles LA. They have Doc's Music, Lake Charles Music, Swicegood Music and McNeil's Music Exchange. Go there or they will hunt you down.

7. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Try Fort Wayne Guitar Exchange and Sweetwater Sound.
    Fort Wayne, IN

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If you like to have the crap beaten out of you, there's always GC, my favorite place in all the world.

"We beat the crap out of the vendor, and pass the savings on to you!"

9. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA

Preach on...

10. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    bass central of course and total entertainment in daytona beach...great guys

steve

11. Thanks for the replies so far.

This was funny: "We [GC] beat the crap out of the vendor, and pass the savings on to you!"

There's an interesting article in Fast Company magazine about Walmart - like GC on steroids. Hear a summary at http://www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=1572652 >> The gist is the worlds biggest employer /store / etc. requires a 5% price reduction every year, which eventually bankrupts suppliers, or forces them to go overseas. My wife reminded me that when Walmart was starting out, Bill Walton insisted on American Content, so Old Man Walton is rolling in his grave for sure.

Back on Subject:

I have spoken with Beaver Felton at Bass Central, and like Brian of Lippman Music in Bryan TX, they will both hear the amp at NAMM.

I'll get hold of Fort Wayne Guitar Exchange, would never have thought of Sweetwater Sound - perhaps they are not the megaplex I envisioned.

I'll check out those places in Lake Charles, LA -again totally un-bass-related: I used to work with PPG there.

Thanks - keep 'em coming!

12. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    You gotta be kidding....PPG popped a flare the other night. BIG Kaboom. Scary but contained. Bring back memories? :)

13. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yeah, GC used to be a nice place. You could walk in there and see a couple of new Alembic's hanging on the wall, and maybe even a used Orange amp or something. Then the bean counters took over, and now I wouldn't set foot in there unless it was an emergency and there was no other option.

The most important thing is "word of mouth", and you're not gonna get that from the dweebs and wanna-be's that populate the GC these days. And you're also not gonna get that from the GC purchasing arm (that's the ultimate destination of all the employees that can't cut it on the sales floor).

I would take a slow and careful approach, especially if it's your first product. Out here in LA there are several small shops that specialize in basses (Bass Exchange, that kind of thing), those are the ones I'd target first. To do this right, you gotta get some reputation before you start moving product (otherwise you're in the "commercial" class, and then the stigma attached to that kind of thing can completely ruin your marketing before it even gets started).

If you really seriously believe you have a good product (and I wouldn't know 'cause I haven't heard it), start local. Then eventually, the goofs at GC will probably be beating down your door trying to get a piece of the action. Otherwise they'll roast you alive by making you compete with the Behringer's of the world.

When I'm looking for new and exciting basses and bass gear, I go to the Bass Exchange, and I stay as far away from GC as possible!

14. We agree - word of mouth and, YA GOTTA HEAR IT.

Modesty aside, we believe we have a good product - a seriously good product at this price. Everything goes into this hand built and signed amp. We have no overhead, no bankers, no fat-cat board of directors, etc. - just two guys with families trying to turn a love into a living.

I sent a note to the Bass Exchange - I'll follow up later today. Actually - we need a place to "store" prior to NAMM - maybe they'll let us ship some stuff to them on a consignment type arrangement for the next couple weeks until then, and you can go hear it.

P.S.: The HCl vapors at PPG were good for etching the skin - that's why I look so young.

15. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    the humble palace
    Bob is a big fan of the original Steve Rabe A-M-P line, so he may be interested... :cool:

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Where is the Bass Exchange now? Is it as laid back as it was when Long had it?

17. Here in the western half of Illinois, right on the river, we have Griggs. They handle mainly Fender and Peavy when it comes to basses, but they have a wide selection. In guitars they sell everything, from Gibson Les Pauls to Squier Strats, everything. They have an friendly, knowledgeable staff, it's a great store to be in. They have four locations: Davenport, IA. Moline, IL. Muscatine, IA. And Washington, IA.

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

19. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I got my current rig at Larry Morgan Music and Sound in Garland, TX (Dallas suburb). They are good people. The last time I tried to contact them through their website (been awhile back), I got no response. Here's their phone #: 972-864-8584. You probably would need to talk to Marcus.

20. HongKongPhooey

HongKongPhooey

Nov 2, 2002