Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who's your favorite bass player/band to cover???

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by xax712, Feb 27, 2002.

1. xax712

xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    OK I'm sure this has been done before, but I was just wondering who everybody enjoyed to cover because I know that my tastes change often and today I was working on some Pearl Jam stuff.
    But let's hear who everybody likes players or bands and try to keep it short no epic explanations please.
    Thanks,
    Brad

2. i liek to play sabbath or any thing by les claypool.like i hate learing songs to cover in my band but when i learning how to play some thing from les claypool i have so much fun. it feels good to play a song you really like and it sounds like the real song.

3. rhythmrod

rhythmrod

Oct 27, 2001
    Austin, Texas
    Flea, Bootsy, Stanley Clarke, King's X. Prefer not to ply cover music. It restricts creativity. IMO. OK BYE, BYE, OK BYE!!!

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I don't cover basslines note for note unless they are an integral part of the song (i.e. My Sharona, Riders on the Storm, White Wedding, Brown Eyed Girl, ect.) Or I just really think they are cool and I think I can learn something from them (Like Walkabout by RHCP) Come to think of it, most bassist I know don't sit and learn bass lines note for note.

I like to cover anything that I can improvise to, so I love playing anything that's Blues or old school R@B. I love jamming with my Blues Brother's CD. (Duck is my favorite bassist) My band doesn't do any BB songs though. Well.............except Sweet Home.

5. For some reason, I like REM covers. Mike Mills' lines are always fairly simple, but melodic. I'd like to do more of Watt's stuff too, but my old band's drummer couldn't handle Hurley's parts.

6. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    AFI of course

hard, fast, and melodic

the perfect combination

7. Play only originals now, but a few years ago my favorites were Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden

8. Hmm...anything off of "And out come the Wolves" by Rancid. As far as bass goes, that's a great album to play along to.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hotboxed.

Easy. Powerfull. Agressive.
    Now if only I had the 6x10+1x18 rig that guy had...

10. Primus, System of a Down , Rage Against the Machine, Tool, Sabbath, Green Day, Red Hot Chili Peppers, any old funk, Nirvana, Muse, Incubus, Cake... ohh there are tons of great bands with good basslines. For some reason slap is usually the most fun, but a nice groovy bassline fingerstyle can be awesome.

11. xax712

xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    These are cool and I mostly just wanted to know liek who's lines that you jsut mees around on with your bass in your spare time, not really with your entire band.
    Brad

12. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I have found that what I like playing isn't always in sync with what I like to listen to. With that in mind, the people that I like to cover (lately) are Van Morrison, Buddy Guy (who uses a lot of bass) and just about any old Motown, where I get some room to experiment.

13. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Zeppelin

I play in a Zep tribute band and JPJ's lines are a ball to play, Of course I don't have them all perfect but I'm close ;)
    I kinda put my own personality into it....
    I also like to cover the allman Bros, Oakley's pick playing is killer...

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Any bass line from Graham Maby, most famous for his work with Joe Jackson.

Any bass line from Paul McCartney

Anything from Adam Clayton

15. MuSE, Incubus and Rage Against the Machine

sim

16. eViL cAkE

eViL cAkE Guest

Sep 6, 2001
    Just East of Dallas
    I get quite a well...er...rush I guess you could say, whenever I get to play Geddy Lee lines in front of an audience. However, I play mostly original music these days.

Peace out bros,

17. Hipnotic

Hipnotic

Feb 26, 2002
    CT/NY U.S.A.
    I play in a "modern rock and more" cover/original band 3 times a week and some of these tunes can get pretty boring. I'd have to say the Rage, Chili's, Incubus, Limp Bizkit(I get to flip out on stage on the hard stuff:eek: ) and the number of assorted funk tunes we play are the most fun. :cool:

18. I haven´t almost played but the band to cover I most like is Incubus.

19. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    Tool - it's tough sometimes, but it's awesome when you have it just right :)

limp bizkit - sam rivers rocks. the band may suck arse-hole, but sam rocks, and besides, who doesn't like to rock-out hard without worry of screwing up the *complicated* breakdowns? :D

20. I love to learn rush songs, slow process for me but very rewarding. older pink floyd (roger waters) is awesome to lock in with also.