who's your favorite custom luthier

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve_man, Sep 12, 2003.

1. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    there are so many custom bass makers as well as many more that seem to be hitting the seen.

who's your favorite and what style or genre of music do play?
  2. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    im really into TimmyBs basses..infact i think im goin to have him build me one..hehe

as of right now im on a ska/punk band.

but mtd (usa's) are amazing

and yes im in a punk band with an mtd 535:D
  3. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    After Jeff Rader's new bass, Carey Nordstrand gets my vote.
  4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'm diggin' what they do big time!!
  5. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Another vore for Carey here !

Peace, JP
  6. jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Roger Sadowsky gets without doubt my vote. His fender-style basses are just the most awesome I've ever played and his customer service is extra ordinary...
  7. Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I have 3 - Chris Benavente, Carey Nordstrand and JP! I'm very lucky to have all 3 SC5.:D ;)
  8. jjonah

Aug 21, 2003
    Ken Smith.

I bought one of his 6 strings in the late 80s. So far nothing to date has made me want to go with another company.

His basses are a work of art, play incredibly well (low action, wide neck (great for slap) and thin (fret board to back - great for smaller hands), and have killer tones!
  9. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    What????? you have a JP now??? ;)

Time for a new family pic I suppose !

thanks for mentionning me H!

Peace, JP
  10. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    From what I have played, Jerzy Drozd.

From what I have seen, Ken Lawrence.
  11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    • Reiner Dobbratz (Le Fay)
    • Jens Ritter
    • Siggi Jäger (Human Base)

All styles.
  12. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    If you guys are into Carey Nordstrand and Chris Benavente, you're DEFINATELY on the right track. I'd also have to give a nod to JP's single-cut design and the amazing work that Mark Eshenbaugh does....phe-nom!!! ;)
  13. although i have never played any of them ( :( ), i would have to say that my favorite basses to look at are carl thompson's, bebensee's, nordstrand's, and jp.

they are very inspirational for me when building and designing my own basses
  14. Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    :D Yup...I'm definitely on the right track..will have pics of all 3 SC5 together later today!:p
  15. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    From What I have seen (and have heard clips) :

From what I have played :

Eshenbaugh (Thanx Robbie!)

*edit* forgot the styles that I gig....

(1)I currently play in a Nawlins funk'n-blues cover band (www.thesquirrelheads.com) we do Nevilles, Dr.john, 'Fess, John Mooney, The Meters.

(2)Also in the back-up band for Michael Levine (www.michaellevine.net) with the first touring drummer for Shawm Mullins (www.kevinleahy.com). MLB's style is David Grey meets Peter Gabriel meet Sting...

(3)Acid-Jazz/funk-Fusion-groove group, "The Subject" (http://jairaj.net/subject.html) we are relatively new... hear some clips of it: http://www.jairaj.net/music.htm

(4)Called from time to time from the local Blues cats/acts: Roadhouse, Chicago Hillbillies, Barron Ruth and the blues barons

(5)'Redneck rawk' The group Noble Jones... the funny thing is at these gigs people don't scream out 'FREEBIRD'... Cause it would be sac-relig...
  16. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Nordstrand at the top. Carey's just great.

For the other's, that follow with quite some distance, there a lot's that a like...

Lefay, Marleaux, Hotwire, Human Base (last two both Siggi Jäger), JP and Ritter from Europe.

MTD, Benavente and Fodera, Conklin, Smith, FBB.
  17. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Slight correction, HotWire's luthier is Magnus Krempel, not Siggi Jäger.
  18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Chris Benavente is definately tops for me.
    But Leo Fender wasn't too bad either.

I play whatever is being played. Preference is Acid/Jam Jazz... but I'm happy with any rock/blues/country I can find. It's all good!
  19. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    list more styles (eg. rock, jazz, fusion, etc.)