Who's your favorite King Crimson bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Apr 15, 2003.

1. Greg Lake

5 vote(s)
  2. Peter Giles

0 vote(s)
  3. Gordon Haskell

0 vote(s)
  4. Boz Burrell

0 vote(s)
  5. John Wetton

15 vote(s)
  6. Tony Levin

31 vote(s)
  7. Trey Gunn

8 vote(s)
  1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    King Crimson is my favorite band, period. Not only have they consistently created challenging, creative, and interesting music over the years, they have also had some of the worlds greatest bass players. Stickist vs. Bassist arguement aside, who is your favorite KC bottom feeder?
  2. Although I think Tony is one of the finest bass players around, I have to say I still prefer what John Wetton did while in KC. That may be influenced a lot by the fact that the Wetton/Cross era of the band is by far my favourite.

I'm more of fan of Levin's work on stuff like Lawrence Gowan's albums or Yes (and ABWH).
  3. 1st would be Tony, obviously
    2nd would be Wetton (happy now?)
    3rd would be Trey, although i don't consider him to be a bassist, sure he olds down the low end, but he's technically not a bassist...

I can't say i listen to much old KC, I've only Listen to ITWOP about 1 1/2 times, and i really don't like it... maybe it's the sound quality, maybe it's the fact i like weird stuff, and some of it is a little too bland for me (Book Of Saturday anyone?) although Red is probably one of their (meaning the old KC) best, although, i feel guilty about liking the 80s KC :eek:
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

That's exactly how I feel. I like all versions of Crimson, but Fripp/Wetton/Bruford was by far and away my favorite: Starless and Bible Black, Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Red, U.S.A. I didn't mention Cross simply because I don't think he performed on all of those albums.
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts

Boz #2???

My MOTHER could have handled his bass parts on "Islands"!!!!

Heck, my grandmother probably could have, too :rolleyes:

Actually Cross was on all four of those albums; he's on one track of "Red", the live jam "Providence" recorded in RI on the last tour of that lineup.
  6. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    This was very hard for me to choose between Levin and Wetton. Wetton had that awesome growly, muscular style and tone that was so cool.

I ended up voting Levin though because I feel his playing with Crimson has exhibited much more versatility. He can do the agressive thing (although not quite as well as Wetton) but he can also make the most beautiful, soaring lines (like the breaks in Vroom..Gunn never quite voices it like Levin did) or the fattest funky grooves (Elephant Talk baby!). Levin is one of the most graceful and tasteful bassists around IMO and he was one of those who drove me to pick up bass.

Having said that all the other old bassists were great too and Gunn has really come into his own. I've been really enjoying his playing on The Power to Believe...especially the fretless stuff. He's doing some nice Wettonesque stuff on that album too.

Good poll.

brad cook
  7. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
  8. Six months ago, I would have said Levin, no questions asked. But with this new album, I think Trey has reached new heights as a rock bassist.

FF, I'd say that he is a bassist, especially when he's playing that bitchin' Warr tuned BEADG on both sides, with one half fretted and the other half fretless.
  9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    It would be toss up for me between Wetton/ Levin & Gunn....according to my mood:cool: I can listen to any of those guys and be inspired:bassist:
  10. Professor X

Professor X

Apr 15, 2002
    [chanting mob voice]Tony!! Tony!!! Tony!!!![chanting mob voice]
  11. Smuggy, I do consider him more of a bassist now, as say, when TCoL or when ProJeKCt 3 came out.
    And yes, I want that WARR! I don't care if i have to steal it. But back on topic, when he was doing all those synth parts and samples (Deception of the Thrush), to me, it was that he had an instrument that could hold down the low-end so he had to, but now, he seems comfortable with it, and so i think that does make him more than a bassist that it did 6 years ago.

and Brain, I ment Wetton, not boz.. i'm all hyped up on vaccines and medicine, forgive me!
  12. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Tony Levin.......and Trey Gunn (almost tide):cool:
  13. Guess I am the only Greg Lake fan.
  14. Nope. Greg did a stellar job, especially considering he never really played bass before KC. He got really good, really fast. He always had a killer tone too.
  15. Yeah, he was a good player. I liked his tone more when he used a Ric than when he went over to Rippers.
  16. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Have you guys heard any of the ProjeKcts? Trey does some beautiful bass playing on ProjeKct 2, plus some great soloing and soundscapes. Gets pretty nasty sometimes, too, which Tony rarely does. Especially since TPTB, I have to go with Gunn.
  17. I always thought he played a Jazz Bass in the early days?
  18. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    That bald guy that could play that wired upright with no body and a plug coming out of it.

I don't know bald boys name, but he rawks, and his weird "Nu-Metal" bass.
  19. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    For Voice and Bass-John Wetton!