Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who's your favorite metal drummer?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by xsogol, Jan 3, 2006.

1. I was putting together a thrash/death/heavy/prog metal band dream team (yeah, yeah...I know...I'm lame) and I have become stumped as to who should be my band's drummer...mostly because I haven't really been paying as much attention to modern metal drummers as I should be...I love Bill Ward from Sabbath, but I can't think of any other metal drummer (and Ward's not really a "metal" drummer by todays standards I guess) that has the jazzy/swingy feel I'm looking for...which leads me to my general question:

Who's your favorite metal drummer...and why?

Here's my dream team so far:

Lead Singer
    - Hansi Kürsch (Blind Guardian/Demons & Wizards)...runners up: Mikael Åkerfeldt (Opeth) and Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden)...actually...I'd love to hear those guys doing three part harmony...I think my brain would explode!

Twin Lead Guitar
    - Chuck Schuldiner (Death/Control Denied)
    - Dave Mustaine (Megadeth) (I was tempted stylistically to put in Kirk Hammett (Metallica) here, but I thought the team of Schuldiner and Mustaine was too intriguing to pass up...I think about silly things...)

Bass
    - Steve DiGiorgio (Sadus, Testament, Death/Control Denied, Dragonlord, Iced Earth, Vintersorg...everything)(I really wanted to put in Tony Choy (Cynic, Atheist, Pestilence) too...this was a tough choice...Dave Ellefson (Megadeth) was my third choice...I didn't feel that Cliff had the right style for what I was putting together, though he'd probably be a lot of folks' first choice...I was also tempted to put in Steve Harris (Iron Maiden), but, again...not the feel I was looking for...)

Drums
    - tentative...Bill Ward (Black Sabbath)...I'm also tempted to through a monkey wrench in the works and have the drummer be the distinctly non-heavy metal Ginger Baker (Cream)...he's old, but he's still a crazy drummin' MACHINE!

So, as you can see...being old and/or dead is not a hindrance in making the metal dream team...

Feel free also to:

- rip, comment on, and/or post your own metal dream team
    - call me names
    - somehow refer to carrots in your post

Thanks for endulging me in my trivial mental pursuits.

~Xsogol

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Dave Lombardo of Slayer.

He is the most talented guy in the band. He can add groove to Slayer's insane riffs and has the best fills I have ever heard.

Ye, Dave Lombardo. :bassist:

3. Crap! I didn't even think of Dave Lombardo! He IS great and has a style that might fit the band I was putting together in my head (sounds crazy when I say it like that...)! Thanks KL!

Who else do you guys like, metal drummer wise?

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Bran Dailor
    Vinnie Paul Abbot

5. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Check out Flo Mounier from Cryptopsy. One of the fastest double bassdrum players out there.

6. He is pretty damn fast!

7. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Seems like theres so many sick metal drummers these days. Here are a few modern metal drummers to checkout:

Reno Killerich - Panzerchrist/Dimmu Borgir: Winner of some "world fastest drummer" contest, not sure which one...but he's sick.

Brann Dailor - Mastodon: One of my favorites, he has a very unique style. Somehow manages to be all over the place but remain tight and in the pocket.

There's alot more, but i'm drawing a blank right now. I'll post more later.

8. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Richard Christy.

Just look him up. ;)

AuG

9. Philthy Phil Taylor ex Motorhead skin basher

oh ..... i like carrots too ..... almost forgot that part :smug:

10. Bobby Caldwell

11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    what the man said. ^

Hearing Lombardo with Patton blew my mind into little pieces. I liked it better than the band that followed, which was Tool.

OR,

that excellent drummer who plays with SYL, for some reason I can't rmember his name ATM.

EDIT Gene Hoglan!!! ^^

12. I can't believe no one has mentioned Igor Cavalera!
    Having seen him play live - he's a phenomenon! :D
    For those tribal fills not many are better.
    He's got my vote.

13. greg

greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Austin,Tx
    Chris Pennie- Dillinger(not really metal though)

Danny Carey-thats prog though.

Faust- Emperor

Fenriz- Darkthrone

Trym- Emperor, Ex- Enslaved

Cato Bekkevold- Enslaved

Martin Lopez-Opeth

14. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    +1 Absolutely
    Listen to Chaos AD and Roots, awesome drumming and perc.

15. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Danny Carey and Mike Portnoy for sure.

16. All of these guys ARE great drummers...I've gone back and listened to some of the bands you guys have been mentioning...I just never paid much attention before!

So...what dream team metal bands would you put together? Why hasn't anyone insulted me yet!?!?!

17. +1

Hell of a drummer.

18. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I'd also go with Flo from Cryptopsy and Richard Christy. But I'm also a big fan of Chris Adler from Lamb of God. Oh yeah and Vinnie Paul isn't to shabby either.

19. i dont listen to much metal, but joey jordinson of slipknot plays the sh!t outta his drums, even though slipknots not really my kinda thing; hes the most talented of the band i think, even though it dosnt take much to be more talented than half of slipknot anyway....beating garbage cans with a metal bat? *** is that?

20. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    His drumming is epic.

Besides Christy, I'd say Gene Hogland (ex Death), Pete Sandoval (Morbid Angel), and the guy from At The Gates. His name escapes me, but I know his drumming is technically simple, but so precise.

And I'd also add [dons flame retardant suit] Lars Ulrich. He takes a lot of heat due to his bloated ego and 'poor me' attitude, but strictly based on his abilities on the drums, he's not that bad. Actually, he has some pretty cool drum parts in Metallica's older material. I was just about to start a thread about this actually.

I'd also like someone to reccomend me some songs to listen to that highlight Mike Portnoy's talents. I have both Liquid Tension Experiment albums, and though the drumming is good, he doesn't seem to be the god of drums that so many people claim he is. I get the same feeling about Dany Carey.

To the original poster: Good pick for your guitarists. Those two are exactly who I'd pick. They never fail to impress me. I'd probably pick DiGiorgio for bass too, though it would be a close match between him, Cliff Burton, and Steve Harris.

Graeme