Who's your new favourite musician or band? Preferably not a bass player

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Mar 31, 2005.

1. I wanted to start this thread as there's so much good music around, if you look for it, that isn't bass-related but is so worth recommending - and rather than starting something in the recordings, or bassists forum I thought it might be worth a shot sticking it over here...

So my recommendation is for a brilliant solo acoustic guitarist called Eric Roche and in particular is wonderful album 'With These Hands' - it's all done on steel string and is simply produced with just a touch of reverb; but this guy is a genius with polyrhythms, strategically placed taps and slaps on the guitar body, so he creates a beautiful rolling, strumming effect. He runs the gamut of styles - he sounds a little Michael Hedges for sure - but he's so good he makes a great job of Stevie Wonder's Higher Ground and even re-works Van Halen's 'Jump' into a an amazing feel good groove - all on one acoustic guitar.

Wrap your lug-holes round this:

I'm sure there are about a million other amazing bands, singers and solo artists out there that you'd like to tell the TB-world about so recommmend away.

Edit: great to see we're such an eclectic and open-minded bunch of music fans!
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Common Rotation - The Big Fear.

Ironic enough for hipsters, honest enough for the rest of us, and just great folk/indie rock.
  3. Robert Randolph and the Family Band. mmmm mmm good
  4. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Right now it's the Dave Mathews Band and Stephan Lassard.

I was never a huge fan of The DMB but I did like them. Recently got into Lassard's stuff and really enjoy listening to his grooves.

I always thought they something like a 9 piece band. I found out that they are only around 5 guys in that band and Mathews is the only guitarist. Kinda suprised me.

A lot of sound comes out of them and Carter Beauford just rocks. I think that guy is pretty amazing. Great rhythm section in the DMB.
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Lamb of God.

edit: it's very good metal.
  6. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    The self-titled album by Hideous Sun Demons is amazing. It's instrumental jazz rock fusion to classify it as best I can.

The band (Ray Luzier, Toshinori Hiketa, James LoMenzo) are David Lee Roth's backup band and are some fiendishly talented musicians. Toshi's guitar work on the album is on POINT. Ray's drumming is amazing- it's complex and tasteful. James' bass work on the album is terrific too, but Ray and especially Toshi simply blew me away.
  7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    The Olivia Tremor Control

They like the love child between the Beatles and the Beach Boys dropping acid and getting into a fight at a Flaming Lips concert.

Talib Kwali

A great lyricist, almost to the point of poetry.
  8. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    At the moment it's Queens of the Stone Age.Was Incubus for ages then Dave Matthews for awhile.Who knows what it will be next week!
  9. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Waterdeep and King Crimson are perennial favorites.

Lately I've been listening to a lot of this band called Wovenhand which is sort of "southern gothic" as I've heard it described. I think it's incredible music. Kinda dark, rolling, atmospheric stuff. Mostly acousticish. Here's an mp3 from the album "Consider the Birds." Wovenhand is basically David Eugene Edwards, who's the core of an indie band called 16 Horsepower.

Also, Soul Junk's album "1956" is probably my favorite album of all time...or at least one of them.

brad cook
  10. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I been getting into a lot of Herbie Hancock lately. Soulive is also one of my favorites, and no bass player at all :) Roy Hargrove is also really cool, just started checking him out more.
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I suppose I would have to say that it's Sir Simon Rattle - if I see any CDs that he's done, I have to buy them and I must have bought everything he's released and they're all fantastic - with the City Of Birmingham Symphony or Berlin Philharmonic - from Mahler, Bartok, Messiaen,Turnage,Stravinsky,Walton etc etc.

I try to get to any concerts in London where he's conducting as well!
  12. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    The Eyesores, though they've been around for a while.

The Plot to Blow Up the Eiffel Tower; their new album is great, if, once again, much too short.
  13. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    My #1 favorite musician on the planet would have to be Pat Metheny. HUGE influence...
  14. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Welcome to 2000, Bliss!

(I know, I know...)
  15. My favoirte musicians both happen to be non bass players. Michael Hedges and Will Owsley. I know many of you know Hedges because of Manring, but please check out one of the two Owsley discs. Pure power pop. Brilliant songwriter. Great player.
  16. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Actually, most of my favorite musicians aren't bass players! This is the kind of list that could be nearly endless, but anyway, here are some people I'm digging at the moment.

Alison Krauss
    Van Hunt
    Kurt Rosenwinkel
    Claudia Gomez
  17. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    Walter Schreifels is one of my current faves. He was singer and guitarist in Quicksand, Rival Schools, and now Walking Concert. He was also in Gorilla Biscuits, but I'm not into hardcore very much.

Josh Homme has done some great stuff.

John Coltrane is becoming my favorite of all time. No explination needed.
  18. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Bill Frisell.
    Uwe Kropinski, a must-listen for you Hedges fans.
  19. rambob

Mar 28, 2005
    Dave Mustaine, Megadeth.