1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who's your "Ole Reliable?"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chef, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Do you have that one bass you feel most at home on?
    The one you always take to auditions, rehearsals, fill-in calls?

I do. If you know me, it ain't the one you think either.

I'm primarily an active J5 player, have been for some years now.
    I have 5 really nice ones to choose from.

But when I'm going to something new, unfamiliar, where I want to grab "that one bass I think the least about playing," it's my Trusty Ole 57PRI. With flats on it. It's the only bass I've ever liked flats on. It's a bass that "always sounds like itself," no matter what cruddy unknown backline might be waiting for me. It's Chunk-o-Funk ball-bat neck and wiiiide string spacing suit me to a tee. And, "it sounds like what people expect a bass to sound like" in most cases. And for the most part, when it comes out of the bag, people say "Oooohhhh; Nice Bass," which makes a guy feel good.

Here's my Ole Reliable; what's yours?

57PRI.

2. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    My '72 Jazz! She is old and always reliable!

br_03_072211.

3. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    "Old reliable" used to be my 1986 EBMM Stingray back when I owned multiple instruments. I now use my fretless Warmoth for errythang.

4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    My active S.U.B. This bass just fits me like a glove.

IMAG0080.

5. Mine would have to be my 77 MusicMan Stingray , I dont know what it is but I can play that baby all night long

mill.

IMG2911.

I call it my "Evil Twin" I got it in trade from the original owner(who is my uncles brother in law) He bought it the year he graduated highschool and worked it until his back couldnt handle the weight . The serial number is my birthday.. If you live in the Detroit area and grew up watching channels 2,4, 7 and 20 you have heard this bass..not me playing but my evil twin ...

6. bass.

Besides playing and sounding great, this one's comfortable and most likely won't need tuning.

7. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Mine's a '73 P-bass that I bought new and defretted, strung with flats.

8. GoesThump

GoesThump

Jul 13, 2007
    Since 2007, a Yamaha BB414. Prior to that, a parts p-bass.

GT

9. GoesThump

GoesThump

Jul 13, 2007
    Sorry to thread hijack - i get the eerie feeling I've been in that bar. Where/what is it if you don't mind me asking?

GT

10. Its the stumble inn.
    used to be the mill

I got to use my GK mb112 for the first time which is my goto amp the combo of the two was great.

11. Vinnyboonbots

Vinnyboonbots Banned

May 25, 2012
    I officially have so many "must have" bases that none of them are THE go-to for all things.

But this may ruffle a few panties...

Although I have some very high end basses, I find my stock Squier Deluxe Jazz always records exceptionally well -- to the point where if I had to record and didn't know what to expect, I think that baby may be the one that goes with me. Weird.

12. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

My '73 Jazz.

A "real" Geddy Lee..... Black with maple neck and black block inlays.

Non original tuners, pickups, PG and electronics and was refinished a few year back.... And it sounds amazing and is the best playing bass I have ever touched.

13. My Foundation S just to the left of my Sterling. Had it since '92, when stickers were a good idea at the time.

Attached Files:

14. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    I've been going back and forth lately to a few different basses and preamps. But my old trusty 81 G&L L1000 is my go to bass. (extra MDF added by Mike Lull years ago) Although my new to me 88 Spector NS2A has a shot to knock it off. If that's the case the G&L will get strung with flats and become my blues machine..... :D

Attached Files:

15. My "Old Reliable" is my current bass, a Squier Affinity P-Bass. I can't afford anything much nicer than this, but I've modded it, it plays and sounds good, and it does the job. What more can you ask for?

[​IMG]

16. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    My custom Roscoe J/J 5.

17. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    My 07ish 62 AVRI Precision. It was my first real bass, (my actual first being a knock off jazz with bad hum, a neck you could shoot an arrow from and fretboard separation) and it just feels so right to play it. The neck's flat and wide, and the tone is just expansive, with that fantastic low mid rauchiness when the tone is wide open. And like Chef said, it always feels good when your bass gets compliments, and this one does a lot. After 5 years of nearly daily use, the finish has dulled, started wearing through in spots, and chipped, so it's looking great. I've had a few people ask if it's actually a 60s Fender, which is always nice. And to be honest, I prefer it to most of the actual 60s basses I've played.

[​IMG]

And the heart shaped knot:
    [​IMG]

18. bassie12

bassie12

Aug 23, 2008
    My '83 '57RI. I got it in a trade in late '83. It had Seymour Duncan actives when I got it. They lasted about 20 years. Then I put in a fender '57 P & '62J. Recently, I dropped in the Bill Lawrence J to get rid of hum. Always sounded great, still sounds great. The bass by which all others are judged.

BBITW83.

19. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    My 2000 Fender Standard Jazz (MIM). It just works for almost every occasion.

20. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    1991 Pedulla 5 bolt on. Series II.
    I have 3 other high end basses but
    this one goes out the most.