Who's your Paddy?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Petebass, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    St Patrick’s day! If you're not from Ireland, you either love it or hate it.

Last year's we played at St Patrick’s Tavern on St Patrick’s day. There was an Irish folk band before us who whipped the very drunk crowd into a frenzy. By the time we started, they were going insane. We had stage invasion after stage invasion and security were nowhere in sight. The trampled my pedals over and over and I almost scratched my Stingray 5 as one of them accidentally pushed me into a wall while playing. I came very close to packing up and leaving half way through the show, something I've never done in 18 years of gigging.

So this year, we were offered the same gig at the same place, and we reluctantly accepted. This time, I left the pedals and the SR5 at home, and took along my old Ibanez bass instead. I figured if they're going to damage anything this year, it may as well be the bass I don't care too much about.

Now the boys in the band are perfectionists so I was expecting to cop some heat for bringing an inferior bass. So I pulled the bass out and put it on it's stand and waited. 30 seconds later - "Hey Pete, is that your St Pats day bass?"

I didn't understand the question, so I let out a rather intelligent sounding “Huh?”;

"Nice move. I've got a green guitar I should have bought along!"

Damn it, the colour thing had never crossed my mind until that moment. Suddenly I was presented with a dilemma – do I tell him why I really bought that bass along, or do I just smile and take the undeserved credit? I only had a split second to decide, and when I opened my mouth, the following words popped out;

“Do you have a green guitar? What sort of guitar is it”

I whimped out. I changed the subject, in doing so, taking credit for an idea I never had. Unfortunately I was unable to stifle my laughter and at that instant, my guitarist saw straight through me. I had to tell him the truth and as expected, they gave me a hard time about bringing a lesser bass. I kept making it worse by interjecting with “…but it’s GREEN!!!!!”.
  2. yep, we played at one of our towns irish theme pubs last night and it was insane! the place was packed and everyone was very drunk.

we only played until 11pm, because the bar owner was getting worried about how drunk the crowd was. we still got played for the four hour show even though we played for only about 2 and a half.

crazy night.... :eek:
  3. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Just leave them dazzled with your subconcious brilliance.

4. What's a guy with the last name "Mulcahy" doing up at this hour of the morning the day after St. Patrick's Day? ;)